Print setup disabled. G code file can not be modified.

jrvalentin62

Posted (edited) · Print setup disabled. G code file can not be modified.

i have the same issue.

i made a few models yesterday and saved the files to SD and harddisk and today after opening them i get this error and can´t modifie the files.

3wKCSQo.png

opening and editing files from thingiverse works.

Edited by Lightboxx

Posted · Print setup disabled. G code file can not be modified.

i am pretty new to 3d printing and cura (got my 3d printer yesterday)

i wonder will cura not open the g code files it writes?

i guess then i have to use project files for my own creations?

i have no other program i can think of that can not read the files that it writes.

so i am a bit puzzled if that is indeed the case.

You can open a gcode file to inspect it, but you can not change parameters and reslice it. This is because the original information of the 3d models is missing in the gcode files.

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

You can open a gcode file to inspect it, but you can not change parameters and reslice it. This is because the original information of the 3d models is missing in the gcode files.

yeah 5 minutes after i wrote my post i thought "wait.... that´s just code for the stepper motor isn´t it?".

i have a lot to learn about 3d printing. but it´s only one day and i have made my first own design (well from an image) and the print came out pretty well.

I have found that the way to get back a project you have been working on , is not to save the file but instead to export it as an . stl file.

Exporting the STL stores the geometry, but not the settings. So you can load the geometry back in but you may not have the same settings as before.

Saving a project (which creates a 3MF file) stores the geometry and all settings. You can load it back in, and it will be as if you never closed Cura or made any setting changes.

Saving or exporting the gcode will get you a file that no longer contains geometry data, so it cannot be resliced.

So once I slice something, that's it I can't change anything? So I need to restart a project all over if I want to change a setting? When did they change this because I remember being able to change things even after it is sliced and saved.

The settings are in the gcode file and you can retrieve them.  Read on...

After you slice something and save the gcode, if you don't save the project and you change some settings, then the original settings are somewhat lost. That's why I always (ALWAYS!) also save a project file when I save the gcode file.  The project file contains your STL, your printer profile, your slicing profile, your overridden settings, the position you placed the STL, filament settings and more.

HOWEVER, there are comments at the end of the gcode that contain most of what you need to know to repeat the settings. Usually it says what printer and profile you used and which settings you overrode and to what values.  These comments are meant to be human readable although no one spent a great deal of effort to make it easy to read.