hackerman

my cura make polygon instead round

Posted · my cura make polygon instead round

in design spark i se round but after cura it is polygon and it isnt that i wanted 

do you know what can i do?

I am not using design spark, but check if there is a setting how the STL file will be exported. Maybe there is an option like quality or something like that and set that to high.

In 3D printing there is no circle, it is always a polygon, and when the exported file is rough, then you see the polygon. If the number of polygons to describe the circle is much higher than the polygon is not visible anymore, but it is still there.

So it is not a Cura failure or setting, you have to check the export options of solid works.

when you "save as..." and choose STL you can then hit the "options" button before you hit "ok".  That gives you this dialog below.

I have it set to 10 degrees which means a cylindrical hole will have at least 36 segments (36 X 10 = 360 degrees).

Don't go too fine.  If you do lots of line segments in a small space - for example if you have 1mm rounded corners each with 20 line segments you will get horrible results because Marlin which is the firmware in all UM printers has trouble looking forward more than 16 gcodes (aka line segments) at a time and has to be ready to stop and will slow down much too much on corners.

I find 10 degrees usually works well.

dsm.png

I usually use "Fine", which suits 99.5% of my models. Only for big balls or smooth curves this gives a bit of visible segments. If this is a problem, I would take "Custom" and select lower values.

In DesignSpark Mechanical, after exporting to STL, you can import that STL again, see the segments, and compare it to your original model. And so finetune your export-settings before beginning the slicing and printing.