Electricity consumption

braddock

Posted · Electricity consumption

Hi guys,

This is more applicable to those with heated beds. I'm looking to purchase the UM2 and have been trying to find some info regarding energy consumption, particularly if any users have noticed big jumps in energy bills since owning their printers?

Considering some prints can take up to 2 days to complete, with non stop printing, this could equate to quite large energy bills.

Does the heated bed essentially make the UM2 as expensive to run as an electric heater, or oven?

Keen to hear some feedback.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Does the heated bed essentially make the UM2 as expensive to run as an electric heater, or oven?

No, it's much less power. About 200 to 300 watts on and off depending on temperature set and outside temperature, compared to 2400 watts for a heater.

So much less but not insignificant. The rest of it uses about upto 70 watts whilst printing.

The Ultimaker2 uses about 200W of power with the heated-bed enabled. Electricity costs somewhere between 10 and 20 cents per KiloWattHour (depending on where you live). So running the UM2 costs between 2 and 4 cents per hour, or between 48 and 96 cents per day.

It's a fraction of the cost compared to filament cost.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey,

I've had the UM2 for a month or so now. I print something every couple of days, mostly small things as I'm still getting to know it and seeing what it can do and how far I can push it.

I've not noticed a significant increase in my electricity, definitely less than I was expecting. On average it amounted to $0.54 per day extra to run (less than $17 per month).

I would say that it's definitely worth it. I love my UM2!