Share Configs between Linux & Windows

changedsoul

Posted · Share Configs between Linux & Windows

Has anyone tried this? I dual boot between windows and linux. I hate having to boot into windows to make a print when I am currently working in linux. I copied my cura folder AppData in windows into the .local/share/cura just to see if it would pick up the settings. It seems some settings came over while others did not. Settings like which print settings I have hidden or shown did not carry over. It seems my custom print profiles got picked up.

Im wondering what locations cura uses when loading so i can link them in linux to the windows locations so "I hope" I can just boot back and forth and have all my settings shared between boots. It seems cura uses more than just the location in Appdata.

Has anyone tried this with success without corrupting something?

Hello @changedsoul, on the Linux side, Cura stores state in ~/.local/share/cura/VERSION and ~/.config/cura/VERSION.

BTW, I created git repos in both of those directories which I occasionally use to snapshot my profiles, etc. Then if Cura goes berserk and trashes everything I can recover my previous state easily.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, burtoogle said:

Hello @changedsoul, on the Linux side, Cura stores state in ~/.local/share/cura/VERSION and ~/.config/cura/VERSION.

BTW, I created git repos in both of those directories which I occasionally use to snapshot my profiles, etc. Then if Cura goes berserk and trashes everything I can recover my previous state easily.

What would be the equivalent directories under windows? I notice there are a few places, AppData/Local and AppData/Roaming. Roaming seems to be the bulk of it, but I can not seem to get my print settings to carry over. I tried placing the the AppData/Local into the .config/cura with no luck. I also seem to have a cura folder under .cache, so I have three, one is .cache, .config, and .share.

>BTW, I created git repos in both of those directories 

Brilliant!

I never create or store profiles.  Instead I *always* save as a project ("file save").  That saves as a .3mf file.  Then later when I print something new I think "let's see - this is similar to that part I printed yesterday" and I load the 3mf file for that part and then delete the old and drag in the new part.

You don't need to store the .cache files. As the name implies, that's where we store cached files. They only exist to speed up the booting of Cura after first run.