Dual is out, let's see it in action!

Posted · Dual is out, let's see it in action!

I have the upgrade kit and haven't had the heart to dismantle my machine yet to install it....I have been hoping to see what others are doing and printing!

I'd love to see what others think of the dual extruders and how their prints are looking

I have the upgrade kit and haven't had the heart to dismantle my machine yet to install it....I have been hoping to see what others are doing and printing!

I'd love to see what others think of the dual extruders and how their prints are looking

welcome on this part of the forum, not to much happening here..... :(

More input would be very welcome :-P .

Welcome!

Well... I ordered one too... Wanted it because of printing with PVA (filament that disapears in cold water).

Theres a point at Cura to set it up but it prints with the first colour ignoring this...

The first prints I made was a cube with some layers white, some green to set up the correct x,y. The original setting was not a 100% nice!

My second print was this testprint (but my notebook cut the connection to the printer):

multicolor Testprint

Green was not printing nice but its a nice result anyway.

Hi there !

Didn´t read this thread yet but am a bit disapointed since there are so few pics at the moment...

Printing with the dual setup seems to be more difficult than we all thought (and even more time consuming...)

Did not have to much time to play around yet but here is what i got so far:

The first one i did is this little guy here:

Dual Print_Pre-Release

with his low z-resolution he looks quite bad and as you can see, there are lots of troubles on the feeder of the red pla.

In the context that the print took place before the kit was released (and a good number of changes in the software ) i am still impressed how well it turned out in the end.

After contacting the ultimaker support recently and a great reply in form of some laser cut parts, i managed to upgrade to an almost official dual extruder setup.

The only result so far is this calibration print i have been doing about 5 days ago:

Dual Print_Calibration

As you might see,i still got underextrusion on the red parts. After going through several other steps, I finally found out, that the printed Bertho-drive-upgrade i have been using so far was to small for the new wooden feeder-parts what led to the problems.

In this pic you can see the old Bertho upgrade in my fully printed feeder (got the designs from Snowygrouch's web-site http://www.calumdouglas.ch/%20)

The fully printed Second feeder+printed extruder upgrade v3

After some thinkering, i managed to use the plans for the injection molded Ultimaker parts from youmagine (https://www.youmagine.com/designs/injection-molded-parts-for-ultimaker) and printed the new Extruder Drive Upgrade today, that can bee seen next to the old feeder.

I am planning to give it a run at the weekend! I will let you now how things turened out!

Hi there !

Didn´t read this thread yet but am a bit disapointed since there are so few pics at the moment...

Printing with the dual setup seems to be more difficult than we all thought (and even more time consuming...)

Hi U2,

After a few weeks of using my dual setup, don't see it as disappointing yet.... But for sure it's difficult and very time consuming. Up till now it's just a spare part kit :eek: .

The printing is not my problem, it's more the stopping(Oozing). It's a dirty mess and takes a lot of cleaning of the part.

THe printhead has to move fast, as low as possible temperatures, start over again when it's too low (underextrusion).

Print extra walls too clean the nozzle.

To keep the oozing as less as possible I use very low temperatures, 20° lower as with single printing, 110% flowrate to force it trough the nozzle. And I use the threated Bowden clamps with the cones to keep the tubes in place.

Made myself an other printhead that's more robust and easier and more stable Height adjustment. ( will post some photo's tomorrow) The original one was a nice design for using the standard parts and the difficult named springwashers, but it was wobbling all over the place, because you could not tighten the screws.

I'm hoping for some cura extra's. Like being able to choose which hotend to use. A single print using hotend 1 or 2 i.e. use a 0.4 nozzle in hotend 1 and 0.2 in hotend 2.

Would be nice to have an extra to control the temperatures by Height (like AtZ plugin).

youré in trouble now when you want to start the second color 100mm in the print

But I keep trying!! Don't say we don't try!!! :roll:

WP 000732

WP 000733

WP 000752

WP 000760

Funny to read that I am not the only one using the second head for spare parts.

would it not be better to merge these new prints with this section ?

http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/467-post-your-latest-print/page-34

Ian :-)

Sorry to revive an old thread....but I still haven't seen a lot of people using the Dual Extruders upgrade to the Ultimaker (Original). Or, are you out there and haven't posted printouts using it :)

LePaul, did you install your kit in the end? If so how are you getting on with it?

I bought it but have not installed it. Being new to 3D printing a year ago, Daid and other members suggested getting the hang of using a 3D printer first before delving into using 2 extruders.

Since I haven't seen a lot of Ultimaker owners using the dual extruders yet, I have kept it in the box for now....waiting to see how others have used it and printed with it