Problems with latest firmware

Rhsin

Posted · Problems with latest firmware

Hi 

i have an um3 extended which i have upgraded to latest firmware, and now i does not work, it stalls in various menues, itcanteven run the active leveling program from the menu, and the display also gets funky, where contens is shown  like the centering is off. (Se photos) from this point the only way to move the printer is rebot, until next freze 

what can i do to get my expensive printer to work properly again?, as i think this is caused of buggy firmware. (Version 5.2.11.20190503)

i have also tried to manual download and update firmware trough usb, but no change), i also tried to first downgrade as suggested on ym supportpage, but that was not possible, as the printer did not show the downgrade version as option on the menu.

hope someone can give some directions what to do.

0515541A-B887-4305-AA72-0046E7E18E6F.jpeg

C20CE1A7-8358-4AC9-A460-4D576A34A37C.jpeg

41A6C4DD-22EC-4669-9CF0-A7D4EA67A435.jpeg

It's worth to try. It can fix some minor issues with the firmware.

If not, then recovering the firmware with an image is the only option left. You will find instructions here on the forum.

• Thanks 1

Image update, do you mean download firmware to usb stick and and reinstall firmware, if so, that i have tried as well the other day

I think, Dim3nsioneer means the "unbricking procedure" described in the forum, for example here:

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/28247-um3-system-boot-cannot-start-up-system-failure/

(summary of the relevant informations)

Regards

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Problems with latest firmware

Thanks guys, i think the img. Procedure has done the trick, i can now do all the menu operations, and has started a print which i hope gets processed without any issues.

it did a 2 step firmware update after img procedure, and im running latest firmware again.

Edited by Rhsin

So far it prints, which is good.

however i noticed it still does the funky display after i while, perhaps ultimaker can comment on that?

se attached photo

02BB5E37-BB36-433B-964F-13232AF476BF.jpeg

And then the print stopped.

can ultimaker perhaps make a comment wheter its the firmware which is buggy?

First i do a retry of the print, if that also fails again in the same manner i will do as described below.

i will try to reinstall with the img file, but NOT update, and se where this brings me.

27864CA9-8236-4A3D-8DE9-445E25BE3317.jpeg

F0A88DF0-54A1-496D-8EF4-C3BCDBA3386D.jpeg

BA451D1E-037C-4D1C-B154-41C8B985EC61.jpeg

Edited by Rhsin

I ended up making the img procedure again but did not upgrade to latest firmware, so its currently running 4.3.97(se photo) i was able to make 2 complete prints, but the display still from time to time seems funky (se photo), and i dont think the printer feels as stabile as before it was upgraded (and downgraded again), its like something is still affected by the upgrade proces.

is there something else to do, in order to make the clean start, besides the img.

otherwise i must wait until there may arrive new firmware, as i can understand there is more with problems than me.

so far im printing, but for how long is still an open question.

C1404929-8DD7-4620-B131-009500C30906.jpeg

717AEF9B-B431-486B-9DCB-8B8ABAC1B295.jpeg

The recovery image brought you to 4.3.97? Or did you perform just the first of the two update steps? You should not print with the intermediate firmware version; there is a risk the printer gets stuck there (can be solved with another firmware recovery). I recommend to upgrade to 5.2.11. Or redo the recovery if that one actually brought you to 4.3.3.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

I made 1 upgrade after the img proces, which i guess is the one you call the intermediate firmware.

As you can se in my previous post i had tried the 2 step firmware update to 5.2.11 but that did not run properly either.(first img then 4.3.97, then 5.2.11

both made trough the wifiupdate, should i try making the updates trough usb stick instead?

@Dim3nsioneer is right. 3.3.97 is just a "stepping stone" firmware only created for installing 5.2.11.

If your firmware reads something below 3.3.96 (threre was a stepping stone for the "buggy" firmware 5.2.8) after img recovery, you have the choice to keep this version (by non-uptating) or to update to latest. If it reads 3.3.97, updating to 5.2.11 is mandatory. Printing with 3.3.9x could lead to the "stuck on 'remove print'" issue, described in some topics of this forum

8 minutes ago, Enigma_M4 said:

@Dim3nsioneer is right. 3.3.97 is just a "stepping stone" firmware only created for installing 5.2.11.

If your firmware reads something below 3.3.96 (threre was a stepping stone for the "buggy" firmware 5.2.8) after img recovery, you have the choice to keep this version (by non-uptating) or to update to latest. If it reads 3.3.97, updating to 5.2.11 is mandatory. Printing with 3.3.9x could lead to the "stuck on 'remove print'" issue, described in some topics of this forum

Currently im on firmware 4.3.97 which is not the system from the img file, it is 1 update trough the printers menu.

3 minutes ago, Rhsin said:

Currently im on firmware 4.3.97 which is not the system from the img file, it is 1 update trough the printers menu.

Using this version for printing is not recommended, as it could lead to unstable behaviour and even "bricking" (which would lead to the requirement of the img procedure...).

I'd suggest, if you find the installation files for the older firmware (there is a topic somewhere in this forum, but I didn't find it at the moment), install the old version, othervice try the update to 5.2.11 by USB. If it doesn't fix your issue, then retry the img procedure and stay at that firmware version till next firmware update is released.

@CarloK or someone else at Team Ultimaker: would this be a legit solution?

1 hour ago, Enigma_M4 said:

Using this version for printing is not recommended, as it could lead to unstable behaviour and even "bricking" (which would lead to the requirement of the img procedure...).

I'd suggest, if you find the installation files for the older firmware (there is a topic somewhere in this forum, but I didn't find it at the moment), install the old version, othervice try the update to 5.2.11 by USB. If it doesn't fix your issue, then retry the img procedure and stay at that firmware version till next firmware update is released.

@CarloK or someone else at Team Ultimaker: would this be a legit solution?

I tried to upgrade to 5.2.11, started a print and after about 1 mm layers it froze in the midlle of the print with the nozzle stuck into the print.

i am only able to get working prints out of the um3 with firmware 4.3.97 (others might work, just nok the latest version).

so im back to start, i will later today make the img procedure and go to version 4.3.97 which is the only version i can run, until newer versions of firmware is available

photos below are new of the funky screen and the frozen print + actual firmware

D7DF557F-04DD-4F8A-81AA-ACCD4CC299DA.jpeg

ED7D6B6A-2F8D-4C1B-BA19-24B3BFD2FD0A.jpeg

0BBB3F57-C8C4-4BC0-AE90-79A66AB3087B.jpeg

after the img recovery, your firmware should be 4.3.3 (as @Dim3nsioneer mentioned above). Try this version BEFORE upgrading to 4.3.9. If it works (and is stable), i suggest you stay with it.

Regards

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Enigma_M4 said:

after the img recovery, your firmware should be 4.3.3 (as @Dim3nsioneer mentioned above). Try this version BEFORE upgrading to 4.3.9. If it works (and is stable), i suggest you stay with it.

Regards

Ahh ok got it, you are right after img recovery the system is 4.3.3 im staying on this, and currently is printing, and after 20 minutes still no funky display, and the print seems so far fine.

so hopefully this is the fix for now, and i stay of any firmware updates until its told its more stabile.

thanks for helping.

The latest FW on the website updating via USB bricks my machine, i have had to do teh unbricking procedure a few times now. 

Does anyone have the version before the very latest one? That i can download.

5 minutes ago, neo-ninja said:

The latest FW on the website updating via USB bricks my machine, i have had to do teh unbricking procedure a few times now. 

Does anyone have the version before the very latest one? That i can download.

Check the firmware after the unbricking procedure, and if the firmware says 4.3.3 do not update, stay on this firmware and se if your machine works in a stabile way... mine does for now.. so i stay on firmware 4.3.3 i do not want to experiment with buggy firmware as the 5.x aparently are

26 minutes ago, Rhsin said:

Check the firmware after the unbricking procedure, and if the firmware says 4.3.3 do not update, stay on this firmware and se if your machine works in a stabile way... mine does for now.. so i stay on firmware 4.3.3 i do not want to experiment with buggy firmware as the 5.x aparently are

My issue now though is there are no material profiles on the printer. So i cant load in any material as when i go to select what material that is there is nothing in the list..... 

Any ideas?!

8 minutes ago, neo-ninja said:

My issue now though is there are no material profiles on the printer. So i cant load in any material as when i go to select what material that is there is nothing in the list..... 

Any ideas?!

Try a factory reset.

Just now, Dim3nsioneer said:

Try a factory reset.

But isn't that what I have just done by fixing the bricked machine?

1 minute ago, neo-ninja said:

But isn't that what I have just done by fixing the bricked machine?

If you mean the firmware recovery, no, those are two different things.