Printing raised text in different color

rob0213

Posted · Printing raised text in different color

Hello:

I have created a box cover that is 2mm thick that I want to print some text on in a different color - Using Cura and trying to figure out how to do this.

Tried the change filament at height but I think my machine ignores this command and does some real weird stuff like sitting and slow Z stepping when I do....

I have a Power Spec I3 plus 3D printer that came with an older version of Cura... tried both that version and latest I downloaded without luck.

I also had the idea of having separate files - one with the text only bit it would need to start printing at 2mm Z height instead of 0mm.... can't figure out how to do this method either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rob

Update:

I have done some digging into the G Code that Cura generates thinking that inserting a "Z" offset in the right spot to print the text above the plate and on top of the already printed cover using the new color filament would be easy to do as I am a programmer in "C" so I can understand this code stuff....  I see where to insert the offset in the G Code file.

One major problem is Cura generates ABSOLUTE coordinates for all its moves.  For my idea to work they would need to be incremental commands set to incremental mode using G91 command.  G90 is used at the beginning of the file so all moves are absolute.

So the offset has to come from Cura.... so how do I do this?  There has to be a way I am certain.

Would a different "Flavor" of G Code work here?  I see there are a ton of settings but I do not know which ones my machine is compatible with.

Please help here as I am running out of time to get this case made....

Regards,

Rob

In the past I have seen people doing this by just watching the printer, and when it reaches the desired layer, manually pause it, and manually change filament. Then continue. This may not be the most convenient method, but if it works to get the job done...   :-)

Posted (edited) · Printing raised text in different color

Ok I have found a way to do it.  Requires manual edit of the G Code file on a few lines but it works.

I have two separate files - one for the cover and one for the text I want on top in a different color.

My cover is 2mm thick so I edit the G Code with the text to add 2mm to the Z parameter in the G90 command following each LAYER comment.  in my case I have 5 layers of text so I had to change 5 lines of G Code.  I load the G Code into WORD and use the "CTRL-F" to search for "LAYER:" to find the lines to edit... usually 2 below the layer comment is the G90 with x,y,and z absolute values.  change the z values to raise the head over the top of the cover.  this took about 3 minutes the first time to do it and save the new G Code file to the SD card for printing.

My original Z values were 0.2, 0.4. 0.6. 0.8, and 1.0... they become 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, and 3.0.

So I print the cover in color #1 and then load the text G Code that I edited, change the filament and print the second file in the second color.

Do NOT remove the cover from the build plate or you will never get it realigned and it will slip during printing.

Be sure the saved file is ".gcode" and not ".txt" becuase the printer will not recognize the ".txt"

Also this is with "Marlin" flavor of G Code....

Tested this last night - it works.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by rob0213

Hi @rob0213Rob, for future reference, especially if you have a lot more than 5 layers, inserting a z-offset command into the start g-code section of you 2nd(text) file is an easier way to do it, rather than changing all the z commands

That only works when the G Code is for incremental moves....  my printer is absolute so a Z offset will not work as its ignored by the printer.

Tried it already....

Rob