0.6 Print Core

Link

Posted · 0.6 Print Core

Having recently moved from a 2+ to a S5 I find I really miss the 0.6 nozzle, that seemed to be the sweet spot between 0.8 (not great for any level of detail of any amount of retraction) and 0.4. However for some reason UM don't provide a 0.6 core appart from the CC which is for abrasive materials. Has anyone used the 3D soles core ?, I assume that's my only option to get 0.6 as you cannot chance the actual nozzle on the UK cores ?

Posted · 0.6 Print Core

Been using the 3DSolex print cores in both of my UM3Ext since I first got them.  Like you I really missed the .6 nozzles with Olsson Block option when I sold my UM2 machines.

Highly recommended . . .

If you are in the USA try https://thegr5store.com/store/index.php/um3upg.html

That is where I purchased mine.  They are a regular contributor to this forum as GR5.

• Like 1

Posted · 0.6 Print Core

I am in the UK but have found a place to buy them, does the core come with tools to change the nozzle ?, assume you just upper the line width for the 0.6 core and maybe a bit more temperature ?

Thanks

Posted · 0.6 Print Core

Yes, mine did come with a small wrench, but not very robust.  Suggest you use an adjustable wrench to hold the block and your Olsson Block socket torque wrench for the nozzle.  (you did print one of those didn't you?)  You might not ever change the nozzle from the .6 since you will still have you original .4 print core.  So just swap out the entire print core.

I use .53 line width (as recommended = .875 X .6).  No temp adjustment necessary with PLA.  Still use the .4 BB core for support .  Works fine.

Posted · 0.6 Print Core

yes, i have a printed torque wrench 🙂

I was going to ask if anyone had used different size cores for printing the part and the support, for example a 0.8 PLA core and a 0.4 PVA, i have a 0.8 BB which i got with the printer, but find the PVA not great on a 0.8 core, its a bit blobby, def more useable in a 0.4 BB

Posted (edited) · 0.6 Print Core

What is wrong with the CC core being made for abrasive materials? Not only is it the size you are looking for but will also run all other materials. Abrasive resistant does not preclude the usage, just expands it......

This is not in opposition to the other stuff mentioned here, but just letting you know.

Edited by kmanstudios

Posted · 0.6 Print Core

While the cc0.6 is great it's pretty pricey... So availability of a 'normal' 0.6 core would be a nice addition to the lineup. Specially considering the um3 feeders can't handle abrasive material anyhow...

Posted · 0.6 Print Core
    31 minutes ago, ultiarjan said:

While the cc0.6 is great it's pretty pricey... So availability of a 'normal' 0.6 core would be a nice addition to the lineup. Specially considering the um3 feeders can't handle abrasive material anyhow...

I can agree with that.

Posted · 0.6 Print Core

i would obviously prefer to purchase a genuine UM core but as others have said the CC is very expensive and could only be justified if you had to print abrasive materials. I don't need to do that so it feels like a waste of money, not to mention i am sure i read UM saying if you want to print normal (non-abrasive) materials they recommend a normal core.

I don't understand why UM don't produce a 0.6 for normal materials, it's just pushing business to 3Dsolex ! 

Posted · 0.6 Print Core
    4 hours ago, Link said:

I don't understand why UM don't produce a 0.6 for normal materials

The argument after the introduction of the UM3 has  been that creating the matching profiles for all material types was the delaying factor. While I understand that for a few months, the UM3 is almost 3 yr's old now... so a complete line up of core's would be nice. I personally like the 0.6 so much I  drilled out a AA0.4 before the CC0,6 was available. 

Posted · 0.6 Print Core
    5 minutes ago, ultiarjan said:

The argument after the introduction of the UM3 has  been that creating the matching profiles for all material types was the delaying factor. While I understand that for a few months, the UM3 is almost 3 yr's old now... so a complete line up of core's would be nice. I personally like the 0.6 so much I  drilled out a AA0.4 before the CC0,6 was available. 

Seems strange UM are concerned about developing a profile but realistically moving from a 0.4 to a 0.6 isn't reinventing the wheel, couple of minor tweeks really in temperature. Seems a odd reason to not provide the 0.6 core.

Do you have a CC for printing PLA ?, how does it perform ?, i assume you need a tad more heat with the Ruby nozzle ? 

Posted · 0.6 Print Core

the CC is absolutely fine for PLA  imho, like you say just take the 0.4 profile and take it from there...

Posted · 0.6 Print Core

Nice thing about the CC 0.6 is that it will last much, much longer.

I print 24/7 for about 6 months and the brass nozzles get frayed and lose fidelity in the print. The CC core will be much stronger and last better with any material.

And it is there fore that ONE time you need to print something abrasive. Remember, there are abrasive based PLA filaments. When I first started, I did not know glow in the dark was an abrasive material. Kinda hastened the end of that core. :(

Posted · 0.6 Print Core
    18 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Nice thing about the CC 0.6 is that it will last much, much longer.

I print 24/7 for about 6 months and the brass nozzles get frayed and lose fidelity in the print. The CC core will be much stronger and last better with any material.

And it is there fore that ONE time you need to print something abrasive. Remember, there are abrasive based PLA filaments. When I first started, I did not know glow in the dark was an abrasive material. Kinda hastened the end of that core. 😞

Indeed, you are right, i would def prefer to buy a UM product knowing it will be optimised from a Hardware perspective. How has it worked out in terms of profiles with the CC core on PLA for example, can you literally just set PLA as the material and select the CC core and it will (i assume) use the 0.4 nozzle temps and retraction settings ?

Posted · 0.6 Print Core

It has been a while so I am a bit fuzzy on this (sorry), but I did start with the 0.4 or 0.8settings in the past and just tweak it a bit. I forget the settings, but it worked great on basic PLA, of which I print mostly myself. I think I did start with the 0.8 settings.......

Posted · 0.6 Print Core

Thanks, I think I will see if I can get a good price on a CC based on just having purchased the S5 and being a repeat customer of retailer 👍🏻