Cura 4.1.0 no longer opening my STL model

rob0213

Posted · Cura 4.1.0 no longer opening my STL model

Hello:

Just started having this problem - my STL files no longer open properly in Cura 4.1.0 and they used to until yesterday.  When I try to slice it I get a slicing error and the rendering of the model it hashed in two colors not the normal solid color.  The files are generated with 123D by Autodesk.

The very same file opens in my version of Cura that came with my Power Spec i3 Plus printer.... so I know its not the file that is the issue.

Anyone else having this and know how to fix it?

I want to use the Ironing option but the older version does not have it....

Regards,

Rob

There is a lot missing in your report, making it unnecessarily hard to help you.

It would help if you included a link to download a model. It would help if you said *what* slicing error you get. It would help if you added a screenshot so we could see the model hashed in two colors. It would help if you said what version of Cura that came with your printer. As is, all we can do is guess.

I'm just guessing that the model may load in such an orientation that it does not fit the build volume. Try making it smaller (using the scale tool), and/or moving it around so it does fit in the build volume..

I will provide all this when I get home - not at home now.

I can tell you the model had not changed nor had any software but it just quit working.

The older version is a custom for Power Spec and I think its 16.0... will confirm later.

Rob

Its happening again.... will not properly open the model that it used to open just fine earlier today...

This is what I get:

image.thumb.png.982853413255f40dc9545aad80d7b41f.png

Any ideas as to why?  Cura 4.1.0

The STL file opens just fine in myPpowe Sspec edition of Cura....

As @ahoeben said above, we need more info to be able to help. Please attach the stl file. Thanks.

File is attached.  opens fine in other applications and used to in Cura 4.1.0....

I'd be if I uninstall and reinstall Cura 4.1.0 it will work again for a while.... as it did last time this happened.

Regards,

Rob

BOX.stl

Thanks, as far as I can tell, BOX.stl has no issues, it's a good model.

So going back to the error message shown above, it looks like the problem is due to the extruder being disabled or something similar. i.e. it's a settings problem and not the model that's causing the trouble.

The problem seems to be that there's a fairly big darker grey area around the edge of the buildplate, and the model does not fit inside that. This darker grey area is reserved for printing a brim or skirt. If you make your brim smaller, or your skirt closer to the model, or turn off buildplate adhesion alltogether, the model should fit just fine.

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.1.0 no longer opening my STL model
    14 hours ago, rob0213 said:

The STL file opens just fine in myPpowe Sspec edition of Cura....

This sounds like a printer definition that is different from the the supplied copy of the program and the wide release of Cura.

The greyed area referenced by @ahoeben seems to show this with the image you supplied.

Edit: A supplied .3mf file would help in this as it would contain all the information of the Cura setup used.

Edited by kmanstudios

Funny thing is I haven't changed ANYTHING.... it just quit working twice now.

So what is getting changed is happening on its own without my input...

Rob

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.1.0 no longer opening my STL model
    36 minutes ago, rob0213 said:

Funny thing is I haven't changed ANYTHING.... it just quit working twice now.

Note that I did not say that you changed anything.

What I did mean, is that the printer definition in the supplied Cura with your product may not be the same as the definition that comes with Cura available to the masses. Nothing to do with what you are doing. The product's manufacturer just may have something in their supplied version that is different from the basic Cura available to everybody.

I just think it may be the thing to look at due to the ginormous 'grey area' seen in your image.

The .3mf file would let people see if it is indeed the skirt issue @ahoeben mentioned. Otherwise we are just guessing. I am sure this is frustrating to you when you do need a more solid answer.

Edited by kmanstudios