Problems with support in generated files

ksor

Posted · Problems with support in generated files
I am new to the 3D printing and I have a Fusion360, Cura 4.1.0 and CR10s PRO as the work flow.

My model is symmetric but is supported differently eventhough the shapes are the same - some of the supports don't even touch the model ????

How can I delete the support that's not touching my model and why is it not supported symmetrically when the body is symmetric ?

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap0XTBN0ykvEhKxRFp02AAruAt971w

I loose way too much time and material on printing supports that are

1) way too "heavy duty"
2) sometimes not even touching the model

If I look at the test file from Creality (Test-dog) it has some very very thin walls in the support - I can't find the property that gives me the same thin walls.

The are so much work after printing removing the support and sometimes the surfaces doesn't look very nice !

What do you do to get the printed fisure look nice and smooth ... use heat gun or "acetone-champer" ?
0s

That model has very little support so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I rarely use support generated by cura.  Instead I just model the support I need directly in cad.

5 hours ago, gr5 said:

That model has very little support so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I rarely use support generated by cura.  Instead I just model the support I need directly in cad.

Now I found a video on YouTube explaining a little of the Cura settings - but I still don't get it right ...

Cure shows exactly the support where you would exspect it by the red color.

take a look here - it's red too on the similar faces in the symmetry.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap0XTBN0ykvEhKxUL19pBDPwmU53Cg

I tried to set up for this experimental TREE support system - WHAT this time it IS symmetric !
    look here whatCuro generated:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap0XTBN0ykvEhKxV8nyP3a2Q7sbr6g

The support is NOT touching the model and SOMETIMES it's NOT symmetric like the model and not ALL red faces are supported ... I don't get it !

Any ideas ?

In future posts, it is best if you place the pictures directly in your message: you can drag and drop image-files (JPG, PNG) from the Windows Explorer directly into this message-board. Not everyone is willing to follow unknown links. I believe your intensions are good, but we all get too many spam mails with links to virusses, and fishing mails, so people tend to become cautious.

That said, I am not using the same Cura version, and I always design my custom supports in CAD too, so I can't answer this question.

None of those red faces need support.  They appear to be 45 degrees which should print extremely well - almost as good as vertical faces.

The exception is the bottom edge.

But again, I don't really understand the red areas either.  I think red means "potential" place that *might* need support?  I'm not sure.