Skeinforge extruder doesn't work. (old ultimaker, replicatorG, skeinforge 39)

sanderdc

Posted · Skeinforge extruder doesn't work. (old ultimaker, replicatorG, skeinforge 39)

Hello,

I am having a problem with my ultimaker V1.1

I am using replicatorG 0024 in comination with skeinforge 39. On my ultimaker i've got the marlin firmware running. Everything with the ultimaker works fine except the extrusion. The extruder does nothing. I am not sure wether this is a hardware or sofware problem.

Is there a simple piece of Gcode with which I can check wheter this is a hardware or software problem? A piece of code which makes the extruder run. I already tried sending this piece of Gcode without any luck "G1 E300".

Thanks for the help,

Sander

Posted · Skeinforge extruder doesn't work. (old ultimaker, replicatorG, skeinforge 39)

Have you heated up the nozzle? There's an interlock in the firmware that prevents the extruder turning when the nozzle is below a threshold temperature - iirc, it's 170ºC.

Hi Sander. Marlin disables the extruder from working unless you heat the hot end up to 170C or higher. This is to avoid damaging things - usually you simply get a grinding of the filament but sometimes the bowden pops off.

So either heat up the print head to 180C or you can build a version of Marlin that has this safety feature disabled.

Blast from the past! Using Cura is recommended. But Skeinforge in RepG usually had this issue when "dimension" was disabled.

Hi,

After heating the print head to 250 degrees and manually activating the extruder it started moving. (I used G1 E300)

However when I try to print something (still heated to 250 degrees) the extruder does not start, this means there is something wrong in skeinforge. I am using skeinforge 39 (old extruder settings). I've tried many skeinforge 0039 profiles but none of them work. Does anyone know a good cura profile which should do the job? (I've checked dimension, it was enabled so that can't be the problem)

I am not using cura because I only recently started to try to get this old 3-D printer back to life. I've never worked with it before (other people from my school made it). This was the software the printer used to work with so to me, this looked like a good starting point. I am deffenitly thinking of switching to cura when everyting works. I've treid cura however cura won't even detect the printer. "Error: Failed to autodetect"

After today I won't be in school for a week so I won't be able to test anything for now.

Thanks a lot for the help,

Sander

Hello,

I've just heard that cura will not work with the arduino mega 1280 however I can't find anything about it. Is this true?

Thanks,

Sander

Hello,

Thanks everybody for the help, I finally got my extruder moving.

I am left with one more question, since everything is working like it should, I now need a decent skeinforge profile to get me started. I've already tried many for skeinforge 31, 35 and 39 profiles (40 and up interprets the extrution length different) but none seem to work propperly. With some the extruder works, with others it doesn't, I have no clue what to look for.

Is there anyone who has an old skeinforge profile that works with the ultimaker V1.1?

Thanks,

Sander.

Cura cannot auto-detect old UM1.1 electronics, but if you manually configure the serial port in the machine-settings then it should work fine.

I have one UM1.1 machine which I updated the firmware a while back. (With the old electronics) and it printed fine with Cura. I can send you a copy of this firmware?

Trying to get everything to work with skeinforge will just be more pain then it's worth really.

Hello Daid,

I am back on trying to repair the software after having to resolve some hardware issues.

It would be really helpfull if you could send me a copy of your firmware for me to expiriment with since I still can't get any decent prints Replicator

Could you send it to sanderxd@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

All the software is open source and on github. Which software do you mean?

Marlin for Ultimaker Original is here:

https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin

Cura is here:

https://github.com/daid/Cura

HOW TO BUILD MARLIN

First get the source code files here:

https://github.com/ErikZalm/Marlin

Then edit Configuration.h – this is by far the hardest step and it's not bad. I recommend you go here:

http://marlinbuilder.robotfuzz.com/

and use that website only to get the Configuration.h file. Then run winmerge or some other diff program to compare the latest ErikZalm version of Configuration.h to the one from robotfuzz which is usually a few months behind. Edit the ErikZalm version to match the robotfuzz generated version. Make any other edits as necessary. It sound complicated but it is extremely clear and well commented. Sometimes with paragraphs of explanation.

configuration.h file detailed explanation:

http://airtripper.com/1145/marlin-firmware-v1-basic-configuration-set-up-guide/

Then you need to build Marlin. There are instructions that come with the erik zalm download in the "README.md" text file.

Basically you download and install arduino ide:

http://arduino.cc/en/main/software

Then copy the sanguino software as explained in README file. Open Marlin.ino file in Arduino IDE by double clicking it (not pde file as stated in README - I think that's old). Select board as "Mega 2560" as explained in README file. Go to "file" "preferences" and select "verbose output" so you can find your hex file. Then build it by clicking the check box in the upper left corner. At the bottom you will see it compiling Marlin. At the end of this it says where the hex file is. If you are currently connected to your UM through USB you can just click "file" "upload" and you are done! But you should locate that hex file and save it somewhere along with the Configuration.h file used to create it so you can recreate the same version with maybe one change. Also you can upload the hex file using Cura.

Alternatively you can build Marlin with somewhat more detailed step by step instructions the command line way (which I don't prefer):

http://www.extrudable.me/2013/05/03/building-marlin-from-scratch/