Belezeebub

Need input on UM3 and Um S5

Posted · Need input on UM3 and Um S5

I have my options narrowed down to three.

Ultimaker 3, Ultimaker 5 or Taz Pro, this will be my fifth printer.

I have a Taz 6 I love it, the only thing I don’t like about it is the dual extruder often nozzle two will drag in the model even knocking it free.

The Taz Pro does have dual power lifting extruders

Both the Um3 and Um5 have lifting nozzles, but it seems to be a bit more like a manual level to switch the nozzle selection, which would be fine for a single color printer but it seems to me it would cause delays with printing as each time the nozzle need to return to the switch position.

I print a large number of items where I use PVA supports, so for me that is a negative.

But the Taz uses a .5 Nozzle which to me is too large, (while I can change the nozzle size, I still have the drag issue)

I don’t know anyone that has a Ultimaker so I don’t have firsthand experience with the UM but it has a great deal of good reviews.

The only downsize I can think of would be the aft fore mentioned nozzle switch delay and the price of the matching filament.

I am looking for opinions about the switch time and if you think it raises the print time, and if the switch is a durable design?

Is the Bondtech upgrade worth the cost.

Im interested in this as well.  I was looking at the Taz but the ultimakers do seem like a more polished product.  

I cannot speak about the TAZ, but I have 3 Ultimaker printer, Um2Go, UM3 and S5 and can say they are all very reliable. Also the switch is very durable, no problems at all and I also haven't heard any problems from others. So don't worry, this lifting mechanism just works. Of course it is a bit time consuming, but with a dual print you want a good and clean result and if you enable a prime tower too for example to wipe you nozzle, then the switching time is negligible. I would not buy a printer which doesn't lift the unused nozzle, to avoid scratches or other accidents during the print.

You write "the price of the matching filament". You only need a 2.85mm filament and you can use any brand you want. There is no need to go with UM filemant. The advantage with UM filament is only, that they have an NFC tag and will be auto detected by the printer. But if you load a non UM spool, you select the material type on the display and then you have the same result. Nothing more happens and no more magic with UM spools. But you should use a filament of good quality, but that should be the case for all printers.

Bondtech feeders are only needed for the UM3 if you want to print abrasive materials, because the UM3 feeder gears are not hardened. The S5 feeder gears are already hardened so you can print abrasive materials with the S5 out of the box. Both feeders are great and personally I don't see any advantage to the Bondtech (except for abrasive materials) Additionally the S5 feeders have a filament sensor detection. Bondtech feeder are great for UM2s or UM2+, I have one on my UM2Go and there was a great upgrade, but the UM2 feeders are not as good as the stock UM3 or S5.

• Thanks 1

I Said "matching filament" because I want a hit print and forget, I currently have a Excel spread sheet showing months of work for Filament XXX printing at YYY with ZZZ settings rinse and repeat for about 40 different filaments with two of my printers, for my Taz I didn't want to do that so I only use polymaker, which gives me a much smaller spreadsheet. if I do end up with a UM3 or UM S5 I would use Ultimaker so I didn't have to recreate months or years of print test change setting print second test change settings etc....

I know when my window guy calls and wants 1000 of https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2963356 I will print them in Black polymaker polylite ASA I will use a bed temp of 92c a nozzle temp of 255c I have the exact speed, flow, retraction, fan speeds to make them come out perfect

I bought at UM3E two years ago, been very happy with it since. It was my first printer, so I had a bit of a learning curve at first.

I use mostly UM filament, and they are as close to 'hit print and forget' as can be, I think. CURA has the settings for UM filaments, so, you can just load up a spool of PLA, select it in CURA and start your print; same with every UM filament. For other brands, you need to do a bit of experimenting, but once you've found the right settings, you can create a specific setting in CURA and you're good to go as well. I've done that with several special filament such as wood.

Bondtech is only useful if you'll be using abrasive filaments, else you're good to go with the standard UM cores.

The switch is a durable design, it does increase printing time some but it also gives you such a flexibility by being able to print with two colors and two materials. The PVA soluble support is more expensive, but so useful! I coudln't print much of what I do without it, especially when I'm printing figurines for some of my customers. It makes removing the support so much easier than anything else.

22 hours ago, Brulti said:

The PVA soluble support is more expensive,

Use the advance settings of PVA only for interface layer I used to burn 5 - 7 rolls of PVA a month now I am down to 2.