Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  

Cura 13.10, Hinged Butterfly and Slic3r

Recommended Posts

I tried to print mathgrrl's Hinged Butterfly. The stl file is available here:


I used Cura 13.10 with little success. The wings were not the same and the left antenna unattached. Then I checked the layers view - which showed the same.

Tried the 'fix horrible' options. One fixed the antenna but stuffed the wings.

Tried repairing the stl in Netfabb basic, Meshlab and Meshmixer. Cura then got the wings to match and look right but the antenna was still inattached.

A helpful soul on Thingiverse suggested that I use Slic3r. I did so using the latest version (0.9.10b) and compared the gcode output with that of Cura 13.10. For both slicers I used the original Thingiverse stl file, not a repaired version.

Shown in the gallery link are how the gcodes look in the 3D view of

Slic3r gcodeCura 1310 gcode 1

GCode Analyzer (http://gcode.ws/)

I'll be very interested to learn how to get a good result in Cura.

BTW the Slic3r gcode printed fine.



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to print that Monday but when I ran it through Cura and looked at layer view it had too many problems. One of the antenna wasn't going to print and part of the hinge doesn't start printing until the 3rd layer - in thin air. I turned on support but it didn't put any support under that in-the-air hinge. So I just decided not to bother. Maybe I'll try kisslicer this weekend. Or an older version of Cura.

I don't think Fix horrible is necessary in this case as I believe I did xray view and I believe there was no red. But I could be wrong.


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just printed the butterfly but I used Cura 13.03. That's with the older slicing engine before steamEngine. It came out great. I was worried about the hinge but if anything it's a bit loose - so I guess I could print it smaller (I printed it at 1X).


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Aah! Thanks for the tip.

I've printed several via Slic3r at 1x and then tried at 1.6x but that didn't slice properly,

Just tried at 1.6x with Cura 13.04 (which was already on my machine) and it turned out perfectly.

The hinge is loose. Those I printed at 1x with Slic3r the hinge was 'seized' and had to be gently 'unfrozen'.

Might try some smaller ones...


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
      We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 
        • Like
      • 130 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!