Cura 13.10, Hinged Butterfly and Slic3r

mgg942

Posted · Cura 13.10, Hinged Butterfly and Slic3r

I tried to print mathgrrl's Hinged Butterfly. The stl file is available here:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:144645/#files

I used Cura 13.10 with little success. The wings were not the same and the left antenna unattached. Then I checked the layers view - which showed the same.

Tried the 'fix horrible' options. One fixed the antenna but stuffed the wings.

Tried repairing the stl in Netfabb basic, Meshlab and Meshmixer. Cura then got the wings to match and look right but the antenna was still inattached.

A helpful soul on Thingiverse suggested that I use Slic3r. I did so using the latest version (0.9.10b) and compared the gcode output with that of Cura 13.10. For both slicers I used the original Thingiverse stl file, not a repaired version.

Shown in the gallery link are how the gcodes look in the 3D view of

Slic3r gcodeCura 1310 gcode 1

GCode Analyzer (http://gcode.ws/)

I'll be very interested to learn how to get a good result in Cura.

BTW the Slic3r gcode printed fine.

Mike

I was going to print that Monday but when I ran it through Cura and looked at layer view it had too many problems. One of the antenna wasn't going to print and part of the hinge doesn't start printing until the 3rd layer - in thin air. I turned on support but it didn't put any support under that in-the-air hinge. So I just decided not to bother. Maybe I'll try kisslicer this weekend. Or an older version of Cura.

I don't think Fix horrible is necessary in this case as I believe I did xray view and I believe there was no red. But I could be wrong.

Note that the butterfly model is quite horrible, with all the internal flat holes.

Sure is.

Very first time I've needed to use an alternative to Cura.

I just printed the butterfly but I used Cura 13.03. That's with the older slicing engine before steamEngine. It came out great. I was worried about the hinge but if anything it's a bit loose - so I guess I could print it smaller (I printed it at 1X).

Aah! Thanks for the tip.

I've printed several via Slic3r at 1x and then tried at 1.6x but that didn't slice properly,

Just tried at 1.6x with Cura 13.04 (which was already on my machine) and it turned out perfectly.

The hinge is loose. Those I printed at 1x with Slic3r the hinge was 'seized' and had to be gently 'unfrozen'.

Might try some smaller ones...