Cura won't recognize a vertical pocket

Posted · Cura won't recognize a vertical pocket

Cura seems to be ignoring a pocket when my part is in the vertical orientation.  I've modeled it in Solidworks.  I've imported it into Cura 3.3.1 and 4.1.0 and it ignores the feature in both versions.  It WILL recognize the feature if I lay the part down in a horizontal position, but I don't want to print this way.  .STL attached.

Jason Trident Pommel.STL

I am thinking that this has to do with which axis the program of origin has set as its 'up axis'.

Cura uses 'Z Up'. Many programs use 'Y Up.'

Check to see if Solidworks uses 'Y Up.'

It is also possible to just rotate the object to proper orientation in Cura to compensate for this.

Also, Solidworks may allow an export to 'Z Up.'

I have changed the orientation within solidworks and resaved the model.  Resent the STL to cura, same result.  I also have rotated the part in cura.  If the hole is up, cura sees it.  If it's horizontal, cura sees it.  In any other orientation, cura skips the hole.

15 hours ago, harley573 said:

Cura seems to be ignoring a pocket when my part is in the vertical orientation.

There's an option "Mesh Fixes -> Remove All Holes" which does exactly what you describe. Perhaps it is accidentally checked? 🤷‍♂️

Have you made a try with one of the default printing profiles?

• Like 2

I did check that "remove all holes" setting and have tried it with that setting selected and deselected with no change in result.  I didn't think to try reverting to default settings though.  I'll give that a shot.  Thanks for the suggestion.

So, very odd.  I reverted to recommended settings in version 3.3.1 and there was no change.  Reverted back to recommended settings in version 4.1.0 and the problem was corrected.  Obviously, I've tweaked a setting somewhere, but I have no idea where or what it was.  Thanks to everyone for help and suggestions.