Unnecessary travel moves at the end of the layer

kulfuerst

Posted (edited) · Unnecessary travel moves at the end of the layer

Hello everyone,

since updating to the latest Cura version, I have problems with completely unnecessary travel moves at the end of some layers. This causes excessive oozing and greatly impacts the quality of my prints! I have located the corresponding lines in the G-Code and cannot find any reasons for these travel moves to exist. Please find the STL and gcode attached. The first example of the travel moves occurs in layer 2 in lines 9978 to 9981 of the gcode. What causes this problem and how can I solve it?

Thank you all for your help

Logo2.stl

Logo2.gcode

Logo2.3mf

Edited by kulfuerst
Corrected line numbers and added project file

I'm sorry, I can't currently slice your project as Cura says there is some problem with the settings. I don't think it is your project file that's wrong. Maybe it's the printer definition or because my Cura is on the "bleeding edge".

If any Cura devs read this, here's something that could be relevant...

EDIT - oh, no, I see that other printers have similar red region so I gues that's not relevant to this problem.

Screenshot_2019-07-26_22-35-40.thumb.png.f5bfd5f24c5f60b4ecdf9731a9c99165.png

Meanwhile, all I can suggest is that you try enabling combing (use mode not in skin). Sorry I can't be of more help right now.

Edited by burtoogle

Posted · Unnecessary travel moves at the end of the layer

@burtoogle, could this be about a plugin that may cause problems? I've been trying to make sense of the error, but I can't figure out what 'key' could possibly mean.

As for combing, I'd prefer to find a way to keep it turned off as it has mostly been causing problems in the past.

I think that red highlighted box is a "red herring" as it also appears when I look at a similar report for other printers. Tomorrow, I will try and find out why I cannot slice your project. Now it's bedtime!

But no, I had to stay up and hack some more! I think I have found the reason for the extraneous travels. Please print the attached gcode which in all other respects should be the same and let me know if it is better.

AI3M_Logo2.gcode

@burtoogle, that seems to have done the trick! The print is about half way done and I couldn't observe any unnecessary travels so far. The quality of the object already looks far better than all my previous attempts. What caused this issue? How can I avoid it?

Hello @kulfuerst, glad to hear that has done the trick.

The problem is caused by very short skin and infill lines being generated by the slicer. Some time back, I suggested to the Cura devs that we filtered those out but they didn't go along with that. I can't remember why, now. So, all I can do is put the fix into my Cura builds which you are welcome to try and submit the fix to the devs with the hope that they accept it. As I still have quite a few contributions outstanding, I don't hold out much hope of the fix being accepted any time soon.

I'm already using your build anyhow 🙂

OK, good. I will post a new build later today that has the fix.

• Like 1

New build available if you wish to try it.

@burtoogle, this has certainly solved the issue with about 95% of travels, but there are still some showing up randomly near the end of some layers. I can't figure out if there is any pattern to it or anything like that. I can definitely see though that there is no extrusion involved in these moves, neither in practice nor in the gcode. An example of this you can see in this gcode right at the end of the first layer. Sliced with your newest Cura build.

Cage.gcode 

Cage.stl Cage.3mf

Edited by kulfuerst

Hello @kulfuerst, could you please be more specific. I am assuming you are still looking at the same project as before. Which layers are you talking about and whereabouts are the unwanted travel moves. Thanks.

@burtoogle, it is a different STL that I was printing today. After the installation of your newest build got rid of the useless travels in the previous project, some of them have returned in this new one, albeit far fewer now. Finding them in the gcode is fiddly, but fortunately the first one occurs right in the first layer at line 1968. Since I was around while my i3 Mega was printing this part, I could also observe that this was not the only travel during the print that seemed to occur for no reason at all. I tried to think of something that could be causing this issue, but I am quite frankly stumped. I know virtually nothing about the inner workings of slicing software. I wish I could give you a more detailed description and maybe some hints as to what the cause could be. Thank you very much for your assistance and all your help so far!

Can you please provide today's STL file? Thanks.

I posted the stl in a comment further up, called "cage.stl" along with the gcode and project file.

Thanks. I found the problem. When ironing is enabled, it would generate those spurious travel moves. My next Cura build will be fixed.

I can't believe how quickly you figure these things out!

I'm also having those random travel moves at the end of the layers.
    Not sure why. I'm up to the latest version.
    Could you, please, have a look?
    Thanks in advance

Drop_Spring_Connector.stl CE5_Drop_Spring_Connector.3mf CE5_Drop_Spring_Connector_PLAESun.gcode