Is it possible to print this?

chriss

Posted · Is it possible to print this?

Hi guys!, I just have my new UM original printer. I have printed some staffs by now, but now I would like to print something that I think is very dificult because it has faces on the air, these are de pictures of the part that I need to print:

Isometric view:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7EvvwHhhSMndUE2UXJyOWloalk/edit?usp=sharing

Side view:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7EvvwHhhSMnS3VhcGc5ajhaTDQ/edit?usp=sharing

is it posible to print? or have any idea how to do it?

Thanks for any coments!

It's possible if you enable supports or model in supports manually in your CAD program. When you break away the support material it will leave marks on the surface so if surface finish is top priority you will have to do some post print work to make it look perfect.

Robert speaks wisely.

Be aware that "bridges" are easy. So if you wanted to print a table with 4 legs touching the bed, and as long as at a certain height you connect 2 legs, then connect the connection - it will print great. So your highest section is an example of a "bridge" and won't need any support.

However the left section and the center section (except for the bridge) will need some support on either side (the wing section).

If you don't care how it looks just enable support. In fact you might want to try cura 13.10 as it has better support features. But if it were me, and the "bottom" of the part is going to be visible, I would consider adding my own support using cad around the edges. Maybe some posts 5mm by 5mm spaced 5mm apart. Something like that. Only needed around the edges I think.

Thanks Robert! I thought something like that (supports). I imagine to print some inverted "tables", and when the nozzle is reaching the horizontal surface, pause the printing and turn up side the tables to do the support the next printing (may be putting blue tape on tables to avoid sticking) .. is it a good idea? or something else easier?, like this is the inverted table (blue color):

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7EvvwHhhSMnR1lBT0gzc2R5YkE/edit?usp=sharing