New Ultimaker S5 - Printed Corners Aren't Square

gbdesai

Posted · New Ultimaker S5 - Printed Corners Aren't Square

So I just got a brand new Ultimaker S5.  I started a few prints and noticed a skewing of the prints.  I consequently ran a XY calibration and found the rectangles that printed actually looked like a parallelogram vs. a rectangle with 90 degree corners.  Is this caused by an axis being off? If not, what else could it be.  It's not an insignificant deviation, it has led to my first print (a bracket), not fitting properly.

This is a common problem and trivial to fix.  It usually happens when someone picks up the printer and they squeeze a long belt too hard and it skips a tooth.

Push the print head to the center of each of the 4 sides and pay attention to the side blocks and see if they stop at the same point or if one can keep moving.  Also look straight down on the two rods that pass through the head and see if they visually don't look quite square.  If either of these are true then it's easy to fix.

Here is one description of how to fix it:

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/19953-aligning-the-axles

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hello, a question to the community,

What level of relative misalignment on the X vs Y axis is considered acceptable on an S5?  On my test prints after aligning the print head shafts parallel to the rods (multiple times), we are seeing in the best case a misaligned.5mm gap on an X-Y test print that is 100mm long on each leg when put against a square.  That translates to about 0.3 deg relative misalignment of the axis.  It seems the only way to "fix" this issue is to just to realign one or both of the axis completely by eyeball to counter that misalignment, but that seems pretty hokey to me and I don't know what else that can impact from a geometric standpoint.   

With this level of misalignment, we cannot have any round coaxial parts fit within each other with a reasonable tolerance between them as all parts come out obviously oblong. 

This is on a brand new machine that appears to have been shipped without visible damage to the shipping box.  

X-Y.jpg

If this is on a brand new machine, you should reach out to your reseller or UltiMaker Support directly.
    Its possible your frame was tweaked in shipping. 
    Its not common.. but its also not unheard of.