Sharing the same Print-Profile on UM3 and UM S5

dxp

Posted · Sharing the same Print-Profile on UM3 and UM S5

Hello,

after successfully using an Ultimaker 3 Extended for 2 years, we were honored with a S5. 🥂

But all these customized and fine-tuned profiles are not available on the S5.

• How can I migrate them to the S5 or better: how can I share the same Profile between the printers?
  • If not possible, how to relieve the pain and transfer the overrides to the S5?
  • Maybe I could use the 3mf-Files with Save Project and import it to S5?

Cheers,

dxp

Short answer; Nope, sorry, this is not possible.

Longer answer: Still not possible, but there is a fairly good reason for it. A lot of the changes that you can make greatly depend on the printer. Lets say that that you changed the wall speed in your profile (30 mm/s on UM3) to be 36 mm/s. The default for the S5 is 45 mm/s. If you override that value, you'd probably not quite get what you meant (eg; Did you mean an absolute value of 36? Did you mean "20% faster than what the default is" or did you mean "default + 6"). As there is a pretty complex interplay of settings, it's rather difficult to just port those settings (We could just make it so that it overrides them, but it's very unlikely that it gets the results that you want).

Thanks @nallath - that is what i feared 🙁

So I start from scratch with the predefined profiles, integrate my defaults (like Combing-Not in Skin, Initial Layer Expansion ...) ,give it a go and add some finetuning.

You're right, some Settings were Material-Specific (like a slow speed for Layer Adhesion) and others depend on the printer (like slow speed for aesthetics). Sadly sometimes i dont remember, what parameter i changed months ago and why. (Note to myself: keep a log!)

Thanks!

What you can try is what I did with our S5 and my personal Anycubic i3 Mega. I just made screenshots of my Cura Settings of the Anycubic and made a custom setting at work for the S5 where I put in the settings from home by hand.

Just leave out the things that would be obviously stupid or are printer related. For example, my Anycubic has only one nozzle but the S5 has two, so I left out all the support settings to still be default because we print PVA-supports at work.

Result was that the S5 printed much slower than default, but the print quality was significantly better. I then started to work with this setting to fine tune it and compare it from time to time with the default settings.