Jump to content
dfrez

Diagnose Bad Board

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited) · Diagnose Bad Board

Hi all, 

 

Recently purchased a used UM2+ after using one at work for a couple years. It worked well for a few months after catching up on some maintenance. It came with a few extra parts including a partial Mark2 upgrade kit. 

 

After getting the rest of the parts, I went ahead and installed the new firmware. I installed the board and printed a few things with a single extruder. Then I removed the board again to finish running wires. Once I put everything back, the steppers no longer operate and am unable to connect to the board through Cura, computer also doesn’t recognize it when plugging in. It also throws a limit switch error since the printhead or bed doesn’t move. 

 

Long story short, the board is toast. I’m not sure what I did, maybe I zapped it when I was working with it the last time. But want I help with is determine exactly what’s wrong with it and maybe even being able to fix it instead of just using it as a paperweight. The heaters for the bed and hot end still work. The front display and knob still work. I don’t see any obvious marks on the board that would indicate something burnt out, etc. I do have a spare Chinese board that needs stepper drivers (they are on order) so hopefully I’ll be up and running again soon. 

 

I don’t have a lot of experience with board level diagnosis and mediocre electronics knowledge but it just annoys me to have something fail and not know the root cause of the failure. 

Edited by dfrez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Diagnose Bad Board
36 minutes ago, dfrez said:

Once I put everything back, the steppers no longer operate and am unable to connect to the board through Cura, computer also doesn’t recognize it when plugging in. It also throws a limit switch error since the printhead or bed doesn’t move.

 

Always first things to check: Take sure that both "Safety"-jumpers are still in place and the 24V source is still there (can be measured at the marked connector).
Schematics are on GitHub: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/tree/master/1091_Main_board_v2.1.1_(x1)

 

um_mainboard.thumb.png.ba1cf077606c6076a03da8ce865a917d.png

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Diagnose Bad Board
1 minute ago, tinkergnome said:

 

Always first things to check: Take sure that both "Safety"-jumpers are still in place and the 24V source is still there (can be measured at the marked connector).
Schematics are on GitHub: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/tree/master/1091_Main_board_v2.1.1_(x1)

 

um_mainboard.thumb.png.ba1cf077606c6076a03da8ce865a917d.png

 

 

 

Yep, both safety jumpers are in place. I'll check the 24V connector. In order to check, do all the components need to be connected to the board, or can I just plug in the PSU? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Diagnose Bad Board

dfrez told me more details through DM.  Note that it boots up and displays proper menus but no servos move and when he connects it to a computer through a USB cable, the windows computer doesn't recognize that anything is connected: no musical tones even though other devices do make the musical tones when connecting to USB.

 

That alone tells me at least part of the board is dead because USB should work.

 

Another test is to power down the UM2 and connect only through the USB to see if that powers up some lights.

 

Because this is the summer, I doubt the damage would be from static electricity.  More likely some kind of short that damaged several circuits inside the arduino.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Diagnose Bad Board
7 minutes ago, gr5 said:

dfrez told me more details through DM.  Note that it boots up and displays proper menus but no servos move and when he connects it to a computer through a USB cable, the windows computer doesn't recognize that anything is connected: no musical tones even though other devices do make the musical tones when connecting to USB.

 

That alone tells me at least part of the board is dead because USB should work.

 

Another test is to power down the UM2 and connect only through the USB to see if that powers up some lights.

 

Because this is the summer, I doubt the damage would be from static electricity.  More likely some kind of short that damaged several circuits inside the arduino.

 

 

 

Yep, thank you for all the help, btw. I figured I'd start a thread to possibly help other members in the future. 

 

Which lights are we looking for when connected via USB? The LEDs on the board itself or the lights on the UM2? 

 

Maybe something shorted when I was handling it. It seems like the board still has some residual power stored even when off and unplugged from PSU for some time. I would imagine due to capacitors etc on the board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Diagnose Bad Board
21 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

 

Always first things to check: Take sure that both "Safety"-jumpers are still in place and the 24V source is still there (can be measured at the marked connector).
Schematics are on GitHub: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2/tree/master/1091_Main_board_v2.1.1_(x1)

 

um_mainboard.thumb.png.ba1cf077606c6076a03da8ce865a917d.png

 

 

 

There is 24V at the headers with the board turned on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Diagnose Bad Board
On 9/6/2019 at 4:45 PM, gr5 said:

dfrez told me more details through DM.  Note that it boots up and displays proper menus but no servos move and when he connects it to a computer through a USB cable, the windows computer doesn't recognize that anything is connected: no musical tones even though other devices do make the musical tones when connecting to USB.

 

That alone tells me at least part of the board is dead because USB should work.

 

Another test is to power down the UM2 and connect only through the USB to see if that powers up some lights.

 

Because this is the summer, I doubt the damage would be from static electricity.  More likely some kind of short that damaged several circuits inside the arduino.

 

 

 

No lights come on when powered off and connected to USB (Rx and Tx). Only the “ON” light when switched on. 

36BF8552-6E10-4CCE-ADFE-F2F23F76D612.jpeg

AC3D787F-D75F-46BE-9355-7DD87C84382F.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!