Print degrading at top / settings issues

Huwied

Posted · Print degrading at top / settings issues

Hi all,

Having a bit of a head scratcher with a print.

Original was drawn in f360 then sliced in Cura.

I tried to print the whole thing downscaled but the front section and underneath seem to have separation issue / thin walls, the middle section is correctly filled and good quality. I had set the walls to 2mm but still have the same issue. I am using the correction options in Cura.

Following on I cut the model and changed orientation but the issue is following me and now exaggerated. I can’t for the life of me figure out why the fill isn’t the same throughout or why I’m still getting the thin walls ( quite new to all this) 

Can anyone point me in the right direction. 

Thanks in advance....

D917D1BE-6507-41CF-BC3B-206659791842.jpeg

97D9CAAF-AE7D-4642-9727-7E855FC7EE8B.jpeg

I think something might be wrong with your model.  Look at your part more carefully in PREVIEW mode.  I suspect it looks the same where the walls aren't connected to the "core" of your part.  Please show screenshots of Cura showing the layer half way up and the layer at the top of this part.

Also while in PREVIEW mode on the left top area change from "layer view" to "xray view".  Anything in red is a problem with your model.

I suppose alternatively you might have a massive amount of backlash or play.  When printer is off, how far can you push the nozzle before the steppers start moving?  It should be around 0.1mm but if the above is caused by play it would have to be at least 3mm of play.

Hi GR5, Thanks for the response.....

Im pretty sure its the model. Attaching few screenshots from cura. There are red areas in x-ray but those areas have printed correctly its more the nose section is the issue. Hard to tell from the slice but you can see the layers which i presume look correct.

Checked the machine over it feels new, no slop, float etc etc feels nice and tight as new.

Jet 2.JPG

Jet 1.JPG

Jet 5.JPG

Jet 4.JPG

Jet 3.JPG

The red areas are bad but aren't what is causing your problem.

Pictures are quite blurry but it looks like it's not printing a few layers at the base of the nose cone.  Do you agree?

It would help to do "color scheme" "line type" and also to zoom in more.  You can zoom with the scroll wheel.

It looks like you have a huge amount of infill.  You don't need that unless your goal is to make the part heavier.  It will not increase strength.  You get most of the strength from the outer shell.  This is unrelated however.

Here you go....

I think you are right its definitely going off track as you hit the nose section.

I started with 10% infill, to be honest this is really just to get a physical view of what its going to look like for real.... When i get that right i need a full scale print to take a mould.

Jet 6.JPG

Okay - so that model has serious issues.

Did you create it in CAD?  If so what did you use?

If you did not create it then definitely just run it through netfabb free repair service (you have to create a free account first):
    https://service.netfabb.com/login.php

It's important that your CAD models are manifold.  That they don't have holes.  That edges come together.  That there isn't internal geometry that you don't want to be part of the model.  These are important details.  Most CAD takes care of this automatically.  Some don't.  CAD that is designed only to make animations don't care if seams don't quite meet together.  CAD that is designed to make parts takes care of that kind of thing automatically.

There are also some "mesh" repair options.  Search for the "mesh" features in Cura.  But ideally you want to fix these issues at the origin - in CAD.

Hmmm..... was created in fusion.... I guess I need to go back and seal it up.... ( after figuring out how ) still getting to grips with it, all this is very new to me..... thanks for the pointers really appreciate it !! 

Well for example I suspect you have a "cone" inside a "cone" and that they are somehow interfering or confusing cura.  In the STL file all the data is stored in unordered triangles with a "normal".  Unordered is important - cura has to figure out which triangles go with which and sometimes can get it wrong.

The "normal" is also important.  It's supposed to define "solid side" versus "air side" of each triangle.  It could be that your normals are backward on the outer or an inner surface and that is confusing Cura also.

Wait - Fusion 360?  It should be very hard to create those "red" areas in fusion 360.  Maybe just union everything together?  I dont' know fusion 360 very well but I know it's pretty good about creating manifold models.  Normally.