Ultimaker 2 - heater error

MironT

Posted · Ultimaker 2 - heater error

Hi all,

I have recently bought a second hand UM2. The very first time after the seller demonstrated me the working printer (but after transport), it gave a heaer error. 

A followed the tips on the troubleshooting page of Ultimaker:
- The firmware was updated via Cura
- The nozzle and temp sensor were checked for full insertion
- The nozzle is nicely centered and does not make contact with the bracket

- Then I  replaced the heater block (which looked quite worn out) but still the same error.

The last tip UM provides is that the heater cartridge is not strong enough. Does anyone have experience with this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Miron

On 9/19/2019 at 9:52 PM, tinkergnome said:

Hi Miron,

if you manually set a temperature for the nozzle, does it heat up at all?

At which time and at which target/actual temperature does the error appear?

When I manually elevate nozzle temperature, I stays  at ambient temperature.

When I manually elevate  the build plate temperature, error message ER03 occurs.

So there are about 10 things that come to mind that cause this so it would be nice to get more information.

1) One possibility is that the 24V is not reaching the servos and heaters.  This is common.  Do the servos move at all?

This is easy to fix and would explain why both heaters have issues.

2) If the servos move and if it reads correct temp but does not warm up then your heater is defective in some way.  It could be as simple as the cable isn't quite inserted at the PCB - it corrodes or can come loose so remove and reinsert the heater wires. 

3) If it still doesn't heat up then remove the wires again and check the resistance with a multimeter.  A working heater is around 20 to 30 ohms.  A broken one is usually infinite ohms.  But check these wires while not connected to the PCB.  If it's infinite you need to buy a new one.

If you don't own a multimeter hopefully you have a friend who does and knows how to use it.  Everyone should have such a friend.

2 hours ago, gr5 said:

So there are about 10 things that come to mind that cause this so it would be nice to get more information.

1) One possibility is that the 24V is not reaching the servos and heaters.  This is common.  Do the servos move at all?

This is easy to fix and would explain why both heaters have issues.

2) If the servos move and if it reads correct temp but does not warm up then your heater is defective in some way.  It could be as simple as the cable isn't quite inserted at the PCB - it corrodes or can come loose so remove and reinsert the heater wires. 

3) If it still doesn't heat up then remove the wires again and check the resistance with a multimeter.  A working heater is around 20 to 30 ohms.  A broken one is usually infinite ohms.  But check these wires while not connected to the PCB.  If it's infinite you need to buy a new one.

If you don't own a multimeter hopefully you have a friend who does and knows how to use it.  Everyone should have such a friend.

Dear gr5,

Thanks for your response!

The servos work normally. 
    I measure about 30 ohms of resistance when disconnected from the PCB (wires don't seem corroded whatsoever. 

Any other suggestions?

Best regards,
    Miron

IS there anyone who can advice a service location close to my hometown Enschede (The Netherlands) where I can bring the machine and have it diagnosed/fixed?

I solved the issue eventually by having a reseller upgrade the machine to 2+.

Topic can be closed.