Poor printing at one corner only

Doug1963

Posted · Poor printing at one corner only

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone could help me with this print.

It's a very straight forward part, printed on an S5 using ColorFABB PLA/PHA Filament.

Looking to model 4 screw holes, and this view is showing the first layer of the model, so the central part is support plastic to be removed.

First three corners print great, but the final hole is shown at the bottom...

Does anyone have any ideas why might be causing this?

Thanks in advance for any solutions to my issue you may have.

Cheers

Douglas Thomson

p.s.

As an idea for the whole community, would it be possible to have a page of print error photos which link back to the original question and subsequent answers.

This would seem to make sense. If I can see a picture of a similar error I'll know I'm getting close to finding an answer. Just a suggestion!

image.thumb.png.cce56e6ddea5c5f0d9d0a8794092b801.png

image.thumb.png.d1ce59894fe8ee3b6ca6fdccf4e19ec7.png

image.thumb.png.dfebaffbbce4c9893c0f8b957641e470.png

image.thumb.png.11adbb763c7c931b72071fe16b170bed.png

This corner looks generally a bit strange. I would say that your bed is not very well leveled, but the S5 make the active leveling, so this could not be the reason. So maybe your glass is not really flat? You see it in the whole corner, that the first layer is not squished into the glass as on the other corners. (or maybe it looks like that only on the photo)

Another issue could be that the glass was not clean enough, some grease from the fingers or something like that.

You could try to turn or position the model on another place on the glass, to see if it makes a difference and if the problem is only in that spot.

The bottoms of my parts generally look like these below. They seem to be squeezed considerably more into the glass, thus the nozzle being closer to the glass. If you could try that, it might improve overall bottom quality (if that would be desired).

Concerning your very irregular corner: in addition to the possibility of the glass in that area being non-flat or greasy, as smithy says, I am wondering if this is the begin/end of the layer lines, or the landing/take-off zone if printing multiple parts? In that case I could imagine that the starting and stopping of the extrusion would cause irregularities such as little blobs or a bit of underextrusion?

Or maybe a combination of all these?

Try watching it closely while printing, through a good magnifying glass, or a macro camera lens. If the sausages would curl up in that irregular corner, it is probably poor bonding or a greasy surface, and/or a too big distance.

underside_mirror.thumb.jpg.d9e8c12251778b0a33338a0eac202c6f.jpg

DSCN4889.thumb.JPG.73f000e965b9b6fb6dd8cf9087767853.JPG

DSCN4938.thumb.JPG.90124a14e04953b171581afa5e8f9e9a.JPG

DSCN6083.thumb.JPG.6fa2f0776aca10a340718c2065decdbf.JPG

Notes:

- All printed on an UM2, with 0.4mm nozzle, 0.1mm layer height.

- The orange cross was a warping test with huge overhangs and a very small bottom area, sort of an inverted prism, so it came partially loose and warped a bit.

- The first 3 models are colorFabb PLA/PHA, the last transparent grey/green ones are PET.

Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for replying so promptly.

I will try all of the above and see what happens.

It certainly is the beginning of the layer lines at the poor corner, but it seemed to be putting down the plastic ok. Difficult to tell without further investigation. I'll rotate the model on the bed and print it again and see if it leads me anywhere. It it's  a stop/start point issue that should maybe confirm it.

Cheers

Doug