Pause at Layer???? Cura Lulzbot Taz 6 and Mini

Rhodesa

Posted · Pause at Layer???? Cura Lulzbot Taz 6 and Mini

I have been losing my mind 🙂 trying to find a plugin to pause at layer. I used to have a plugin that I loaded into cura lulzbot edition to pause at a specific layer, now when it resumes, it doesn't touch the previous layer, therefor creating space and layer does not adhere  well. I have both a mini and taz 6. Please help or point me in the right direction. Thank you!

I think the problem is that the "LAYER" comment is in the wrong place, and not at the start of the layer.  If you look at this example of CURA gcode:

;MESH:NONMESH
    G0 F600 X66.713 Y38.689 Z1.8
    G0 F7200 X66.333 Y40.555
    G0 X62.31 Y40.63
    G0 X25.674 Y42.11
    G0 X24.195 Y42.115
    G0 X20.932 Y42.197
    G0 X20.933 Y42.048
    ;TIME_ELAPSED:3908.320706
    ;LAYER:10
    ;TYPE:FILL
    ;MESH:Enclosure.stl
    G1 F1500 E3249.63696
    G1 F6000 X24.262 Y45.377 E3249.7544
    G1 X24.332 Y45.447
    G0 F7200 X24.123 Y45.447
    G0 X22.434 Y42.193
    G0 X22.435 Y42.051
    G1 F6000 X19.283 Y45.203 E3249.8656

you see that the new layer starts after the "MESH NOMESH" comment where the Z is defined.  The plugins insert where the "LAYER" comment is defined.

I gave up on the scripts after several failed prints and insert manually using Notepad++.  Here is my script:

; Begin Pause Code
    G0 X0 Y0            ;  Insert just before Layer Number at MESH:NONMESH
    G0 Z50
    M25                 ; Pause Print - Remember to just press continue button !!!!!
    ; End Pause Code; Begin Pause Code

Adjust the Z for easy colour change.

Actually, those travel moves after the NONMESH and before the LAYER comment are part of the previous layer. For a long time now, Cura has added the travel move(s) to the start location of the next layer on the end of the previous layer. Recently, the z change to the new layer height was added so that the nozzle lifts before doing the travel moves. This was requested to reduce the chance of the nozzle hitting something when it travelled to the next layer start point.

Hello,

inserted a "pause at layer" in Cura 4.2.1. nozzle goes 1mm higher before going to parking zone. after resume, it remains 1mm too high and prints in the air for the next layer. here is an example gcode

;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 4.2.1

;MESH:NONMESH
    G0 F600 X134.976 Y122.136 Z4.3   <--------------------
    G0 F6000 X123.335 Y123.335
    ;TIME_ELAPSED:361.593891
    ;TYPE:CUSTOM
    ;added code by post processing
    ;script: PauseAtHeight.py
    ;current layer: 20
    M83
    G1 F1500 E-5
    G1 F300 Z5.3   <--------------------
    G1 F9000 X20 Y20
    G1 F300 Z15
    M104 S210; standby temperature
    M0;Do the actual pause
    M109 S210; resume temperature
    G1 F1500 E5
    G1 F199.998 E5
    G1 F1500 E-5
    G1 F300 Z5.3   <-------------------------
    G1 F9000 X20 Y20
    G1 F1500 E5
    G1 F9000
    M82
    G92 E306.87001
    ;LAYER:20
    M205 X20 Y20
    ;TYPE:FILL
    ;MESH:Test Pause Layer.stl
    G1 F2400 E312.87001

G1 F2857.8 X125.184 Y125.184 E312.95698
    G1 X125.254 Y125.254

height for layer 20 should be 4.3, but the last height is still 5.3.

i am not sure, but  should i add something like : G1 F300 Z4.3 ?

like this  ?

;MESH:Test Pause Layer.stl
    G1 F2400 E312.87001

G1 F300 Z4.3

G1 F2857.8 X125.184 Y125.184 E312.95698

thanks for your help. have a nice day

It appears this has been fixed.   Here are the code changes made to the PauseAtHeight.py script.  

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/commit/6ed57838a9c35bb063b68bd609c6a5a452898aa9#diff-3e58768c03d7c85bf31b60e0ed2d51eb

I made a backup and replaced the contents of that file with the new code found here.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ultimaker/Cura/master/plugins/PostProcessingPlugin/scripts/PauseAtHeight.py

In the middle of a long print so I can't confirm but please post back your results.

Thanks.

RK

18 hours ago, robkleinpeter said:

It appears this has been fixed.   Here are the code changes made to the PauseAtHeight.py script.  

Thank you robkleinpeter, unfortunatly this is out of my knowledge and i don't know what to do with that file.

Does that mean that i need to replace "PauseAtHeight.py" in "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.2\plugins\PostProcessingPlugin\scripts" with the file you provided ?

in doubt, i edited the gcode with notepad++ and  added "G1 F300 Z4.3" and it worked perfectly. as long as i don't know what to do with the help you provided, i'll modify the gcodes to restore the right hight.

thank you again, have a nice day.

Correct, you can just replace the existing file.  Sorry for being vague.  The previous link was to the raw text so right click and save the new file from here. 

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/tree/master/plugins/PostProcessingPlugin/scripts

Also, I've tested and can confirm that the new script does produce the correct gcode.  Kudos to the developers!

Hello, 

i followed your procedure : it works !

i learn something new today, great...

thanks to you and to the developers

have a nice day.

Awesome.  I'm new to 3D printing and have many to thank for sharing their knowledge and experience.  My technology background came into play here so it was nice to give a little back to the community.   

On 9/23/2019 at 11:14 AM, robkleinpeter said:

Correct, you can just replace the existing file.  Sorry for being vague.  The previous link was to the raw text so right click and save the new file from here. 

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/tree/master/plugins/PostProcessingPlugin/scripts

Also, I've tested and can confirm that the new script does produce the correct gcode.  Kudos to the developers!

Awesome!!

How do I add this code to my printer?

1 hour ago, Rhodesa said:

Awesome!!

How do I add this code to my printer?

Hello, problem has been fixed in Cura version 4.3.0.

I used the Lulzbot Cura Edition. There isn't a 4.3. The current version is 3.6.21

Posted (edited) · Pause at Layer???? Cura Lulzbot Taz 6 and Mini

On 9/23/2019 at 10:14 AM, robkleinpeter said:

Let me first says I have zero experience with Cura pre 4.2 but In theory the scrip should work the same.   Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

IF AND ONLY IF that is true and there is no automatic update function, there should be a "scripts" folder where your instance of Cura is installed.  For 4.3 on Windows 10 that folder location is "C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.3\plugins\PostProcessingPlugin\scripts".  In here you should see the script file "PauseAtHeight.py".  If so, make a copy of the existing file for safe keeping.  In Windows you can "right click, copy"  then "right click, paste" the file and follow the above procedure to replace it.   Good luck.

Edited by robkleinpeter

I clicked on that link, which file is it to pause at layer? Sorry this is out of my realm. :) 

image.thumb.png.023780079b7d487394f7032e19a534f6.png

Hello, the seventh file "PauseAtHeight.py". once in Cura following Robkleinpeter's procedure, you can choose pause at height or pause at layer. good luck, have a nice day.

Pause at height_layer.jpg

On 9/23/2019 at 11:14 AM, robkleinpeter said:

What do you mean about right clicking and save the new file? I am confused on what I save and where to? 

On 10/17/2019 at 11:54 AM, Jraf said:

Hello, problem has been fixed in Cura version 4.3.0.

Thank you, but it is not fixed in the current Cura version for Lulzbot. 

• Like 1

When you modify the gcode on the notepad, do you just press save when finished?

Yes , if you are changing the gcode file itself prior to printing.  I did some digging and as you said this doesn't appear to be fixed going by their change logs.  I would send them an email explaining this issue and include a link to this post.  That way they can fix it for everyone.  Their website has the address as Support@LulzBot.com .  Good luck.

any idea why the scripts that I have loaded , do not show up in Cura when I go to use them? The bottom 3 do not show up in cura.image.thumb.png.ca05450dd2536c5c0216a19fd811b882.png