td1

bridging not making best use of exisiting walls

Posted · bridging not making best use of exisiting walls

Cura 4.2.1

It strikes me that the optimal path for bridges ought to be horizontal because a) shorter distance, and b) start and end on existing walls with solid foundations.

Please see layer 41 towards the end when bridging starts, we have long diagonals ending on a very weak line at the top of Y, and naturally the whole layer droops at the top of Y.

Would be handy if someone could recommend improved settings, else is this worthy of a software bug/feature report ?

Thank you in advance

Tim

X_carriage_-_modified_MK3_fan_blower.stl modified_MK3_fan_blower.3mf

Hello @td1, I need to see the project file so I can see the settings you are using. Please do File -> Save (not Export) and attach the resulting .3mf file to this thread. Thanks.

Thanks @burtoogle. Saved properly this time! Sorry. Please find attached.

I tried using Top/Bottom line directions [0,90] but that did not influence the direction of layer 41.

modified_MK3_fan_blower.3mf

Thanks for the project file. The remedy is easy, just enable the bridge settings in the experimental section and the first bridge layer becomes like this...

Screenshot_2019-09-21_22-41-28.thumb.png.0ffe248ac4a59bef0f3b1491cf523627.png

You will find there's a bunch of settings in there for tweaking the bridging behaviour.

Wowzers! That's a scary long and bunch of detailed settings right there! Thank you @burtoogle I guess because it's in Experimental the issue I reported has already been recongnised and will trickle down to default behaviour in a future release ?