Wireless control ultimaker

mennosmit

Posted · Wireless control ultimaker

Hey there!

Is there someone on the forum using octoprint on a Raspberry pi

I own a Ultimaker for about 4 weeks now, acualy the printer is located at my work.

And everithing works great !

Sinds a week i'm intrested in the programm caled octoprint.

Octoprint is a program to control your 3d printer over the web.

You can control it via a Raspberry pi .

I read the instructions on octoprint.org

So i bought a Raspberry pi, download Raspbain, downloaded the octoprint.zip file en unzip it to put the image on the sd card of the Raspberry.

Boot it up and now only Raspbain starts.....

When i type in the browser http://octopi.local nothing is hapening [/url]

Someone knows what whent wrong ?

Gr Menno Smit

Hi,

you have to follow the instructions exactly. There are two ways. You either install Raspbian and then install OctoPrint by hand via this guide:

https://github.com/foosel/OctoPrint/wiki/Setup-on-a-Raspberry-Pi-running-Raspbian

Or, instead of installing Raspbian first, just grab the OctoPi image and restore it on the sdcard:

https://github.com/guysoft/OctoPi

It is not enough to unzip the image on the sdcard. You have to actually "restore" it on the sdcard. Depending on your operating system there are several ways:

http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup

Be aware that if you chose the second approach, when "restoring" you will loose all data on the sdcard. So if you bought the Raspberry Pi with a pre-installed Raspbian card, you will loose this. It is no big deal because it is easy to install Raspbian - just keep it in mind:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

• Like 1

try couple of easy things: format the SD card and mount the Octoprint image with http://elinux.org/RPi_Easy_SD_Card_Setup#Using_the_Win32DiskImager_program

only the octoprint!!! must work perfect...also check the power supply nedds to be in off try a proper one or give some more with a power supply USB hub. turn on and wait 3 or 4 minutes then try to acces, all problems i got before comes from the power supply.

also in windows you have to install bonjour http://support.apple.com/kb/DL99%C2%A0%20to%20acces%20from%20browser.

supoustly you do all that before but the power supply was a very very important thing

NachokaoS & Nicolinux

first of all thanks for the quick response!!! :D

# Info. i use a macbook, Raspberry pi model B, Raspberry camera, sd-card 8gb (class10), power supply 1000mA.

Oke i empty the sd card and format it.

I put only the octoprint image on the sd

I think this power supply is good enough ?

when i connect the Respberry to a hdmi computer monitor, the screen is now complete black when i turn it on.

Accially the red light on the Raspberry and on the camera turn on.

when i connect the Raspberry only on the Ultimaker by usb cable, and internet (wired) i cant find it when i type http://octopi.local in the browser of my laptop. (the red light on the camera and raspberry are on!)

so it's not working yet but I'm much further!! :grin:

When the Raspberry Pi boots up you should see also a green light flickering. If it doesn't then I suspect the boot image was not restored correctly. How did you "put the image on the sd"?

yesss !! I'm verry happy !!

it's working now !! octoprint is online in my browser and i can see myself from the camera.

I put the image on the sd card by (Pi Filler 1.1.1) turn it on and the red and the green light turn on.

Octoprint said 'failed to autodetect' got my serial port on AUTO and the Baudrate as well.

Gr Menno Smit

Great, you are one step closer to a working OctoPrint installation. I think you need to change the supported baud rate in pyserial. Please follow this short instruction.

First log in into your Raspberry Pi via ssh. (open a terminal and type "ssh -lpi octopi.local"). Instead octopi.local you can enter the ip address of your Raspberry Pi.

Then:

sudo apt-get install subversion
    svn checkout svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/pyserial/code/trunk pyserial-code
    cd pyserial-code
    wget -O pyserial.patch http://sourceforge.net/p/pyserial/patches/_discuss/thread/ed3fb0de/f4fd/attachment/pyserial.patch
    patch -p0 < pyserial.patch
    cd pyserial
    python setup.py build
    sudo python setup.py install

To make it easier, reboot your Raspberry Pi when done.

Here is the link to the documentation where I found this snippet. Link

Hey Nicolinux

The machine status is now OPERATIONAL !!

I choose a different serial port and now i can control the Ultimaker !

let's see if i can send a G-code to the printer.

:D:D:D

yeaa !! just printed a Raspberry pi camera case !!

I'm so happy i's working now :D

I'm wondering how i can connect my wifi/usb dongle to the pi

and how i can look at my Ultimaker when i use a different network then the Raspberry pi.

:D I will post a Time lapse and a few pictures soon

Did someone tried OctoPrint with an UM2?

I installed it on a raspberry without problems, connecting with 250000 baud rate and state is "operational" but if I try to print something the printer starts immediately in the top left without preheating and prints "in the air", the bed is still at home (on the bottom).

In addition, the head moves just from left to right until it reaches the right border of the frame...

You could use wireless or a wired connection. Either works. Also do see if you can do a VPN into your rouer. So, you could be anywhere in the world, VPN into your router and just type the adress to access the interface.

Yes, that's clear to me. But anyone else trying to run an UM2 with OctoPrint?

@TUKL: I don't have the UM2 yet, but the problem you describe sounds weird. In the control tab, is it possible to move the head in x/y directions? Is the movement correct (not backwards)?

Also take a look at the generated .gcode. Maybe that's broken. And another idea - check the terminal tab. Do you see any suspicious messages?

Yes, that's clear to me. But anyone else trying to run an UM2 with OctoPrint?

If you want this, you have to change the GCode flavor from "UltiGCode" to "RepRap" in Cura, this is because when you use the SD card menu in the UM2, the UM2 heats up and starts up itself, and this is not in the GCode. But with RepRap style GCode this is in the GCode file, which is what OctoPrint expects.

Hello,

In fact, as I understand it, when it is not Cura which generates the code, but the head moves too early.

Alex.

If you want this, you have to change the GCode flavor from "UltiGCode" to "RepRap" in Cura, this is because when you use the SD card menu in the UM2, the UM2 heats up and starts up itself, and this is not in the GCode. But with RepRap style GCode this is in the GCode file, which is what OctoPrint expects.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess it won't be long before Gina patches up OctoPrint to support UltiGCode flavor.

Hey! It seems that I have a problem with the endstops, because with OctoPrint it won't let me move left (terminal always says endstop reached), even if I move right some times before.

I hope I get any response from UM according this problem, then I will continue testing OctoPrint!

Hey! It seems that I have a problem with the endstops, because with OctoPrint it won't let me move left (terminal always says endstop reached), even if I move right some times before.

I hope I get any response from UM according this problem, then I will continue testing OctoPrint!

Dont really think UM have to response about others software, try first to find a solution at octoprint developers forum Google group etc.

All the ways it Looks pretty compatible, i Dont have the oportunity to try with UM2 yet.

Can anyone post the setting for UM2 connection settings for OctoPrint?