td1

Cura 4.3 deliberate zit during retraction travel

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.3 deliberate zit during retraction travel

Hi experts! I sure could use a hand here please. I was trying to tune out some very repeatable zits, only in the end did I look at the tool path preview. Low and behold there is indeed tiny yellow dot outside the wall exactly where my zits are! The move itself is a bit weird - why not travel directly to destination ? I can also observe the zit being extruded using http://gcode.ws/

In the attached, watch layer 14. Happens on loads of layers, but not every layer, e.g layer 17.

I'm out of my depth here! Kindly advise.

Thanks

Tim

zit.png

retraction test - cylinder.3mf retraction test - cylinder (1).stl

zit2.png

Edited by td1

Posted · Cura 4.3 deliberate zit during retraction travel

Hello @td1, I think what is happening there is that the cylinder is being printed as a thin wall and the Ultimaker Cura implementation of thin walls has a tendency to include little jaggies like you are seeing.

I produce my own Cura builds and they use a different implementation of thin wall printing (along with lots of other tweaks and bug fixes) and they handle this particular model better as you can see here.

Screenshot_2019-10-07_07-28-00.thumb.png.984121c364c36c59d5cff82503142536.png

My builds can be installed alongside the Ultimaker releases without conflict. You can find them along with a README that describes what's different here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0