the first 30% of my layers are too thick ????

ksor

Posted (edited) · the first 30% of my layers are too thick ????

I've had many problem since I updated from Cura 4.2.1 to Cura 4.3.0 !

Now it seems like my first 30% of the layers are way too thick !

In Fusion 360 I have drawn a ratchet, sliced it with 4.2.1 and printed it out (the red one on the pictures) and it's OK and well shaped !

Now I try the same Fusion file and slice it with 4.3.0 and the SAME PROFILE - the gray one on the pictures - it looks like _BEEP_ !

Look at the end of the gray shaft - the first many layers are too thick and it gives this "light bulb like" shape of the end the shaft - it should be round and it was when I printed with 4.2.1 !

(Sorry for the shaft is turned upside down !)

I don't think I can find any wrong settings in Cura and on the Cura screen there is nothing like it to see at all.

I'm not at all skilled in reading G-code - so please can anyone tell me what's wrong here ?

DSCN1338.JPG

DSCN1339.JPG

TurnKey.gcode Ratchet.gcode

Edited by ksor

Posted · the first 30% of my layers are too thick ????

In order to get any reasonable help with this it would be best to post a 3mf project file (in Cura, with the model loaded and settings like you are ready to print, use File.Save (not Export) to save the file).

Two suggestions for the ratchet:

1 - reduce the max comb distance with no retract to a much smaller value, i.e 5 or 10 rather than the 30 it is now.

2 - try not printing outer walls first (not sure about this, maybe worth trying.

Posted (edited) · the first 30% of my layers are too thick ????
    21 hours ago, burtoogle said:

Two suggestions for the ratchet:

1 - reduce the max comb distance with no retract to a much smaller value, i.e 5 or 10 rather than the 30 it is now.

2 - try not printing outer walls first (not sure about this, maybe worth trying.

I can try changing a lot of settings, but I think this sudden shift in print quality after - I don't know maybe - 30% of the layers for BOTH the ratchet AND the turnkey - it's very strange ... and has this anything to do with "Max comb distance" - I see no connection there ?

Notice I did NOT change anything in the profile from the RED to the GREY ratchet !

Edited by ksor

No one knows anything here ?

Now I deleted all my profiles and choosed the "Super quality" and I STILL have this problem ... the first 30-35% layers are too thick - see the picture:DSCN1348.thumb.JPG.7b82008643c9aaa992a04b2f91eb3801.JPG

What is wrong here ????

I've been away for a while but now I'm back and want to get on with 3D-printing ... but first I have to find out, what is wrong !

Because I did NOT change anything from the RED (fine and OK print !) to the GRAY ratchet (useless print !) I don't think I should change any 'settings' - and later I did delete ALL my profiles and use the

WHat I HAVE done right before the problems started is cleaning the extruder - when I put it all together again I maybe changed a little of the position of the TIP of the nozzle compared to the BED.

I therefore did a MANUAL levelling of the bed 3-4 times and then did a automatic levelling in the menu BUT do I need too to somehow 'reset' something concerning the "Home-position" in the SW ?

I had to print a file with this G-code in it:

M502
    M500
    M501

then do a manual and an automatic levelling - WHY - I don't know - but it worked !

7 minutes ago, ksor said:

I had to print a file with this G-code in it:

M502
    M500
    M501

then do a manual and an automatic levelling - WHY - I don't know - but it worked !

So, essentially you performed a factory reset on the printer - and now it's working again?

That means it was completely unrelated to the Cura update? Phew -  that's life! 🙂

Thanks for reporting back!

33 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

So, essentially you performed a factory reset on the printer - and now it's working again?

That means it was completely unrelated to the Cura update? Phew -  that's life! 🙂

Thanks for reporting back!

If you read my last 2-3 postings you'll see I too cleaned the nozzle and MAYBE put it together a little different so it's a little shorter/longer - but that it should have THIS effect is strange I think - TOO I upgrated Cura and now I did it again - updated to 4.4.0 - never do more than ONE change a a time ... but I did and now it works.

• Thanks 1