Hardcore Print core with tough pla

Posted · Hardcore Print core with tough pla

We have a Solex HardCore print core that we want to try out.  I plug it in and a warning pops up about how generic tough PLA isn't recommended with the hardcore print core.

The problem is, I don't know what tough pla is vs. PLA2 vs. PLA+ vs. PLA pro.  I can't find direct comparisons.  I also don't know why it's not recommended.  They all say they have better properties, and print hotter, but I hope it's not the hotter part.  I hoped this new core would print ABS without ruining the core like it does with the ultimaker cores, since the Solex one is all metal.

I have not 3DSolex Hardcore so I don't know why or if even it is not recommended to print ToughPLA with the HardCore.

But, why should you ruin your UM PrintCore with ABS? As long as you don't print abrasive materials you can print every material with the UM AA core. Or do you print reinforced ABS with GF or carbon? In that case you should use the Hardcore or the UM CC core.

Basically ToughPLA is a material which is stronger than PLA but has the same glass transition temperature. Each manufacturer uses its own name for it, so don't be confused, it is more less the same.

Turns out it's not just tough PLA that puts that error up.

Also it would seem that I have to override the hardcore to AA.4 (I have the .4 nozzle in the hardcore core) both on the machine and in Cura, and it gives me a scary warning.

18 minutes ago, Smithy said:

I have not 3DSolex Hardcore so I don't know why or if even it is not recommended to print ToughPLA with the HardCore.

But, why should you ruin your UM PrintCore with ABS? As long as you don't print abrasive materials you can print every material with the UM AA core. Or do you print reinforced ABS with GF or carbon? In that case you should use the Hardcore or the UM CC core.

Basically ToughPLA is a material which is stronger than PLA but has the same glass transition temperature. Each manufacturer uses its own name for it, so don't be confused, it is more less the same.

The PTFE coupler wears out eventually, and I think printing hotter speeds that up.

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/21477-how-to-fix-under-extrusion

Don't worry about the coupler on the Um3, it is built in the print core and you cannot change it. Your link shows the Um2.

I printed PC with 280C without any ö problems.

That still doesn't tell me how to safely print with a hardcore printer, including with different nozzle sizes.

We cleaned the stock ones by unscrewing them, hitting them with a blow torch, and then screwing them back in.  I don't think we screwed it all the way back in, because material has oozed out up in there, which we have struggled to remove, especially since we can't get it unscrewed again.  I think I just need some better wrenches.

I am a little bit confused now, first you asked about ToughPLA, now it seems you already used the Core.

I know you have to be very careful when unscrewing the nozzle on the 3DSolex Hardcore, you have to use pliers to hold the block and then unscrew and screw the nozzle. Otherwise you will break the Hardcore!

When you are not able to screw it back all the way, then there are good chances that the print core oozes again. But don't use too much force to screw it in. Try to clean it, maybe you need to heat it up again to be able to get off the material.

21 minutes ago, panhalt said:

That still doesn't tell me how to safely print with a hardcore printer, including with different nozzle sizes.

And when everything is ok again, then you can just use the hardcore as any other print core on your printer. It is basically a print core with exchangeable nozzles from another company. That's it, no more magic.

Here is a video how to change the nozzle:

I was talking about 2 separate things.  My thread started out bad...

1) How to use the Solex when Cura doesn't seem to want me to.

2)  The problems I'm having with the Ultimaker cores that came with the machine.

5 minutes ago, panhalt said:

1) How to use the Solex when Cura doesn't seem to want me to.

The same way as you use the UM cores. I guess the warning is normal and you cannot avoid it. Cura just sees a non UM print core and thinks the profile you want to use is not compatible with this core. But I am not 100% sure if there is way to suppress the warning.

7 minutes ago, panhalt said:

2)  The problems I'm having with the Ultimaker cores that came with the machine.

It is not intended to remove the nozzle from the UM core. Of course it works by force, but I have already read that it is then very difficult to reinsert the nozzle again so that everything is tight. So try it, but don't use the core if the nozzle is not again in its correct place. Otherwise material will ooze out and fill up your print head.

I need to figure out how to set the nozzle size in Cura.  Cura appears to have AA.25 AA.4 and AA.8.

23 minutes ago, panhalt said:

How to use the Solex when Cura doesn't seem to want me to.

The printer definition of Cura uses "variants" (printcore settings in this case) and "quality" presets which are provided for all combinations of "variant" and supported materials.

If either the "variant" for your specific printcore or the dedicated quality setting for the material is missing, Cura will throw a warning (or don't slice at all - dunno).

I don't know if 3DSolex provides matching Cura configurations (or printer definitions) for their print cores.

Maybe it's worth to ask them for help?🤷‍♂️

If creating your own "variant" is too difficult, maybe it's possible to define a custom printer instead?

This would at least allow to use the standard profiles for "fine" and "fast" and so on...

On 10/22/2019 at 7:19 AM, panhalt said:

I need to figure out how to set the nozzle size in Cura.  Cura appears to have AA.25 AA.4 and AA.8.

@panhalt : I have the UM3+ and the Solex Hardcore set.  I regularly use the Solex 0.8 and 0.6.  Both of them require me to OVERRIDE the nozzle just before print time, as you say.  This is the scary warning "If you override, You can break your damn printer." more or less.

I wish it wasn't this way. 

But in my understanding,  Ultimaker has an Open Filament system, (Using a Custom Material Profile will not require an Override.

But, they DO NOT have an open "Print core" system.  So, Using anything OTHER than the .25, .4. .8 Print Cores (Stock) will always require the scary warning, an an Override to start the job.

Considering that Automatic Leveling can (and should) be set to "Always" , I don't see WHY a non-stock Nozzle is such a threat.  The G-code is not going to crash the Z-height of the .8 Solex Nozzle, if it is "auto-leveled." 

Anyone know what best practices are for reducing Overrides?

10 hours ago, SefPinneyStudio said:

Anyone know what best practices are for reducing Overrides?

The "variant" in Cura (name of the print core) has to match the id that is programmed into the print cores EEPROM (like "AA 0.4", "AA 0.8" and so on).

Probably applies to the nozzle diameter as well (not sure).

It's indeed the same principle as the material GUID.

The printer displays the print core information (somewhere in the maintenance menu?). And Cura generates the appropriate header for the gcode file ("....NOZZLE.NAME" and "...NOZZLE.DIAMETER")

Both has to be the same. That's all (AFAIK).

Are there no provided instructions from the print core reseller that explain a proper configuration for Cura?