Can't find a proper spool holder with bearings

ThePrinterer

Posted · Can't find a proper spool holder with bearings

Hi guys, I've been having recently problems with my big filament spool getting grinded. I tried to print some spool holders but I'm still having the same problem. I think that the friction caused by trying to move a big spool, the extruder cant move it propertly. Can you guys show some models or if you have your own to share with me. Thank you!

When you say big spool, what size you talking? 2kg spools or 3kg? Personally i use 2.2KG spools and i got a Polybox and printed a lifter for the lid so the spool fits inside and it works great.

IMG_8768.thumb.jpg.0f0bf949a718c4f85de8bdc2e8d6014c.jpg

I have designed a compact spoolholder for myself, but it only fits one standard spool (Ultimaker, colorFabb). So, in its current form it won't work for you. But you are free to re-use the basic concept, and adapt it to your needs: you will have to make it bigger, and stronger, so it can support the extra weight. It uses one standard 608 bearing (=same as in most skate boards), which is centered.

Keep in mind that frictionless spool holders also have a disadvantage: the spool may unwind by itself, especially near the end, if wound too tight. So you may need to provide extra guards to prevent this.

This design is made in DesignSpark Mechanical (=a limited version of the commercial SpaceClaim, distributed by RS-components, and free after registration). If you have this software, you can edit the design.

See here for the concept and files (and then scroll down a bit).

https://www.uantwerpen.be/nl/personeel/geert-keteleer/manuals/

spool_holder.jpg.0b7800b56f2507e1ab46fda58fc774d4.jpg

image.png.fb5ca13db604e4117fe60bac0007be3a.png

image.png.ee70962ea408132816287d7a063c2c38.png

Purple = 608 bearing; blue = bolt and nut; cyan = base attached to UM-printer; yellow, lightgreen, red = rotating spool holder.

The feeders in the printers are usually very strong and powerful, so it is not necessary to use any special spool holders. I know there was a hype about the low friction spool holders, but if necessary this method works fine too without under extrusion:

IMG_0799.thumb.jpeg.6ed3f54d06eb6f1161680ae73801f209.jpeg

The spool simply lies loosely in the wastepaper basket. 🙂 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Smithy said:

The spool simply lies loosely in the wastepaper basket.

Very convenient when the spool is empty...no removal from the spool holder required. 😄