UMS5 Screen Contrast very poor

standin_name

Posted · UMS5 Screen Contrast very poor

I am really surprised that I have not been able to find anyone else who has this issue. The buttons on the screen of the Ultimaker S5 use white text on gray background. It is very hard to read  especially in bright light which we need here for various reasons. Is there a way to change the text to black or some other, higher contrast, color? If not is there any chance you can add that? It's just about the only complaint I have with this extremely capable printer (other than power loss recovery, not sure why that isn't a feature when my $200 Ender 3 has it but battery backups work too).

If anyone has any advice please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

Creatorpult

Yup, I've also complained about this, gotta squat down to read the buttons when they are that colour. If it was open source I just woulda done a pull request...

I don't like giving people a hard time because I know how hard software development can be but this was a no brainier to me. I'm baffled as to how it made it past QA. I just hope they fix it soon. I use this printer all the time and it's a real pain in the neck.

Agreed, on the UMs5 touchscreen, the contrast on action buttons (white type on a light gray) is too week a contrast and has become a usability issue for me as i cannot read it most of the time.  I do wear prescription glasses and still such a weak contrast between type and background that i need to adjust to the right angle and height to make out the button label.

In modern web design and product design there are contrast cutoffs for ADA(american disability act) so as most users with color blindness and older eyes can still use the product.  This completely fails those cutoffs and would fail any ADA contrast test (https://developer.paciellogroup.com/resources/contrastanalyser/).

I am both a UX and visual designer and i do understand how sometimes design should be put in front of the UX . But not in this case. These are core functions which could effect hours of printing and could be dangerous(if I cant see and hit re print -- etc).

Also quite surprised this was not correct prior to release? This is not a decorative or preference issue its a usability issue.  Maybe just add a higher contrast option in the setting so users like me can see and keep it standard for everyone else if there are no complaints from the rest of the community.

The photo attached has been contrast corrected by my iphone but much worse in person.IMG_5957.thumb.jpg.07c25b6958aace72933e7078ea2162a0.jpg