Problem with spiralize in CURA 4.3.0

pdwpackrat

Posted · Problem with spiralize in CURA 4.3.0

Having an issue with spirializer. seems to be an issue with CURA 4.3.0

STL of:  I Dream of Jeannie

I believe  I downloaded the original bottle stls from https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3192392

I scaled teh solid version  down from 214mm to 100mm within Cura, set spiralizer  , but it generates gaps in the spiral.

I then re-scaled befor cura, made new stl file. at 100mm  (Height), but spiralized had the same issue.

tried many settings for quality, smooth specialized contour,  and adaptive layers.  no real change.  

if I resize it back up to 214 mm within cura, and it seems ok then.  

I'm at a loss.

Attached is gcode, and stl file

I D J2.png

I D J2.gcode I D J2.stl

It's not just the spiralize mode that's unhappy with that model. You can still see problems with spiralize disabled. For some reason, Cura is unhappy with that model. Sorry, I don't know what the problem is.

I had printed this model with an earlier version of Cura, about 5 months ago. I did not notice the issue then, it printed fine. Well, not quite. It was weak near the upper bulge, so  I was going to print a new one using a 0.40 mm nozzle,  pretending to be 0.50 mm to make a thicker spiral. That is when I saw the issue. I had started the print before I noticed the issue in Cura  realizing it was not going to complete correctly.

Posted (edited) · Problem with spiralize in CURA 4.3.0

confirmed those settings,

note: surface has no top or bottom.

it seems that  spiral just not working right

going to fake  it, for now.

surface both

wall count 1

infill 0

top 0

bottom  4

nozzle set as 0.50 with a 0.40mm physical   for thicker lines

tried.. failed 

- nope  too shallow of an angle..  will 

too steep around 27 mm

Edited by pdwpackrat
    tried the settings for a print

On 11/25/2019 at 12:13 PM, obewan said:

No explanation as to why but

Switch 'surface mode'  to surface and turn off 'smooth spiralized contours' seems to work.

Cant seem to get a bottom layer to it tho.

Try using the "per model setting" feature. 

- add a support block on the bottom layer, size it greater than your bottom layer dimension (z height should equal bottom layer height). Make sure the block begins at z=0mm 

- Click on the support block again (make sure it highlighted) and select "per model settings" on the left tab. And change the Mesh Type to "modify settings for overlaps".

- Select Settings: Surface Mode - change this back to "on" or "normal" depending which CURA version you have.

- I found that the support block mesh type switched back to "normal mode" which was weird. SO make sure you switch it back to "modify settings for overlaps".

- the regular model should be as mentioned with "surface mode" turned OFF & "smooth spiralized contours" OFF

- Slice!

This worked for me, it fixed my strange gap and also the bottom layer issue! :)

• Like 1