Ultimaker XY rods not staying steady in their bearings?

tommyph1208

Posted · Ultimaker XY rods not staying steady in their bearings?

So...

I got a second hand Ultimaker a few weeks ago and it prints rather well, however I of course cannot help but tinker with it and look for areas I can improve, adjust, calibrate etc...

Since I didn't build the machine myself I don't know how stuff "is supposed to be" and can only rely on my common sense as well as the wiki build instructions and of course these forums...

While tinkering I have discovered that my XY rods (the ones with the timing pulleys on them) can move slightly back and forth in their bearings... As if they are about 1 mm. too short (or the frame in which they sit is 1 mm. too wide).

As I said the printer prints really rather good, however I would imagine that it prints better if the rods stay in place (and makes less noise?)

Does anyone have the same "problem" with their Ultimakers?

I thought about simply adding something (like a washer or similar) to the caps that are bolted onto the outside of the frame to hold the axis in place...

Posted · Ultimaker XY rods not staying steady in their bearings?

Yes, it's fairly common to have this. I don't know that a little bit of play affects print quality too much, but it is loud and annoying.

There are a few things you can do - firstly ensure that your axis rods are well lubricated with light oil (e.g., sewing machine oil) so as to minimize the friction that drags the rods around.

Secondly, you might want to print some replacement end caps. These are the ones I use:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:23835

Take a look also at the various derivative remixes. I find the all plastic ones to be just fine, but YMMV. Note that while you want to stop the rods sliding, you want to minimize the resistance to rotation. Anything that presses too tightly on the rods will stop them turning properly, and so cause problems with head movement accuracy and reliability.