Um2 to Um2+ step extruder 1/2 ....why ?

ManuHC

Posted · Um2 to Um2+ step extruder 1/2 ....why ?

Hi,
I updated my Ultimaker 2 by retrieving the various pieces separately bringing it to the Ultimaker 2 +

What I don't understand is why when I load the filament it carries the thread up to half of the tube ....

Is it possible that the steps per mm have changed? 

is there the possibility of being able to change this value to understand what is not working or test it?

Can you help me?

thanks

Yes, it's about twice as many steps/mm.

Get your firmware here - tinker marlin is much better than normal UM Marlin and once installed you never have to change again as this will let you adjust many more things including steps/mm:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases/tag/V19.03.1

22 hours ago, gr5 said:

Yes, it's about twice as many steps/mm.

Get your firmware here - tinker marlin is much better than normal UM Marlin and once installed you never have to change again as this will let you adjust many more things including steps/mm:

https://github.com/TinkerGnome/Ultimaker2Marlin/releases/tag/V19.03.1

thank you very much for the answer.
    I have modified the extruder's steps for now ... and it's already changing

there's more ? :)) I am impatient LOL

"""tinker marlin is much better than normal UM Marlin "" better then Marlin official uploaded with Cura 4.4 ?

Posted (edited) · Um2 to Um2+ step extruder 1/2 ....why ?
    12 hours ago, ManuHC said:

I have modified the extruder's steps for now ... and it's already changing

After installing the "plus" firmware on a (formerly) UM2, it should reset everything to the default ("plus"-) settings. Relevant changes are the steps/mm and the rotation direction of the extruder stepper motor. Both should be already correct after the firmware update.

I wonder, why it was necessary to do this manually in your case? Did you do something different?

Or are you still using the old ("non-plus") firmware?

Edited by tinkergnome

36 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

After installing the "plus" firmware on a (formerly) UM2, it should reset everything to the default ("plus"-) settings. Relevant changes are the steps/mm and the rotation direction of the extruder stepper motor. Both should be already correct after the firmware update.

I wonder, why it was necessary to do this manually in your case? Did you do something different?

Or are you still using the old ("non-plus") firmware?

sorry for my bad english
    However I have updated from UM2 A UM2 + with separate pieces, buying tubes, feeders but obviously the motor I have used the one already present.
    The complete kit for Italy is too expensive so I only used the existing engine

1 hour ago, ManuHC said:

the motor I have used the one already present

ah, ok - that's the reason why the steps/mm needs to be doubled.

The "plus" motor needs 200 steps/rev while the original one is 400 steps/rev.

Thank you for clarifying this!

3 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

ah, ok - that's the reason why the steps/mm needs to be doubled.

The "plus" motor needs 200 steps/rev while the original one is 400 steps/rev.

Thank you for clarifying this!

A small difference is also the crankshaft, much longer which requires a spacer of about 6mm

What I would like to ask you if it is not a problem is because I replace the original(UM2+ fw) with tinker, I would like to understand the improvements it has so as to understand if I need them .... I don't know if I can explain myself...

19 hours ago, ManuHC said:

"""tinker marlin is much better than normal UM Marlin "" better then Marlin official uploaded with Cura 4.4 ?

Yes, much better.

It is very easy to install firmwares.  Once you have done it once, you can always go back to an official version of Marlin from Ultimaker.  Just try it.  Here are a few features:

Ability to alter Z height on the fly while it prints the bottom layer to fix your leveling using only the main control knob.

Ability to continue a failed print (for example if you left the room and it ran out of filament or if you lost power for a minute).

Ability to adjust the speed (by a percentage) and see the ACTUAL speed the print head is moving at that moment while you adjust.

Many more things are displayed while printing.

Just lots of tiny little features like ability to set steps/mm and many other parameters that are normally only available by recompiling the firmware.

Just try it!  🙂

You can always go back.

1 hour ago, ManuHC said:

I would like to understand the improvements it has so as to understand if I need them

The changes are mostly on the user interface (@gr5 named a few), the actual printing is not affected (hopefully... 😏).

There's a dedicated topic from a few years ago, not all forum links are working anymore, but it is a good place to start:

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/15939-tinker-firmware-introduction/

Then I will try to load it and modify the steps as already done and let's see if it works :)

Is it already implemented with the olsson block speech etc?
    It was born for UM2 + therefore