Current print layer number - UM5

BiMNrd

Posted · Current print layer number - UM5

Is it possivle for the printer to display which layer it is currently printing or had finished like other printers do?

This is very helpful especially when prints fail and you need to reply from a certain point etc.

you're not the first to want this, out UX designers have judged this kind of information to be clutter and they have a point.

You can get the z height from the API here:

http://<printer ip address>/api/v1/printer/heads/0/position

may I direct you here for more information and discussion?

1 hour ago, robinmdh said:

UX designers have judged this kind of information to be clutter

If they need a good example of a clean interface including layer number they should have a look at the Formlabs printers.

I appreciate that they dont want ti include it, but honestly when customers spend $$$ on equipment aimed at prosmer or professional environments they need to reevaluate they thinking. 

I run a business and the S5 is part of that operation. If a chinesse printer has this info, and formlabs does, (so does aleveryone else) why cant ultimaker give its customers what they want , need and seems to be a standard piece of information.

Layers is how a printer prints, so show what layer you are printing. 

I would want to drive a car that doesn't show me how fast its going in MPH or KPH and that only says, "slow and fast". 

many UI based systems have a engineering mode where users who need it, can enable extra feature details. 

I can appreciated what the UI guys are trying to do, however the reality is ANY fdm printer will never be simply plug and play, the system simply has too many variables meaning some level of debug and tweaking will always be required. My S5 is very very good, but i have developed my own profiles as the default ones were not optimal and i often tweak for new materials etc, locking down the UI to make it clean necessitates this is and always will be a plug and play system, which FDM printing will never 100% be.

Please add a engineering option, would make everyones lives much easier.

• Like 1