TriggerMeister

New Build Plate Adhesion Method(?): Solid first layer

Posted · New Build Plate Adhesion Method(?): Solid first layer

Hello everybody,

I'm having build plate adhesion problems on the first layer with small holes and other small features.  I tried the experimental "small features" setting, and my success rate went up, but it was still no guarantee.  Well, I found a way that has always worked so far.  I create a solid first layer and then just remove the excess in the post cleanup phase.  I was wondering if anybody knew how to create a solid first layer either via Cura settings or via maybe a plugin in Cura?  I'm attaching an example so you know what I'm trying to accomplish without having to add it in the design.  

703864732_SlicerIdeatoenhancefirstlayeradhesion.thumb.png.b316c6fa0a6e18d234ccb8fd0e0d9967.png

IMG_20191224_132546329.thumb.jpg.03374e4518086a337656e5eb1ef61f69.jpg

Thanks!

It should be possible to solve it with a brim. Per default the brim is only on outside, but if you uncheck this option, you should get the brim also on the inside.

image.thumb.png.70bd14b34fac85f38f3028a0b34a0bd5.png

Depending on your model, play with the brim width to cover everything you want.

Thanks for the response.  I have used the brim inside as well, but when you try to use it with 3mm holes the brim can just rips off as well.  Like I mentioned, the most surefire way I found was to slice a brim and the just have the entire first layer covered by zigzagging without trying to circle the small holes.  Breaking through a first thin layer in post processing is easy since it's the same effort of removing a successful brim.

You are right, I forgot that the brim follows the shape of the model, so no zigzag.

I am not aware of any plugin which could achieve what you want. The only way would be to include this layer already in your CAD design, which is not the nicest solution.

In the beginning I also had this problem. But now it is extremely rare, even though I have lots of models with small openings. Maybe you can solve it by adjusting nozzle height a bit closer, or changing temp or speed of the first layer? Or improving your bonding method? Also, a thinner first layer gives better bonding and less risk of the first outline being ripped off, on my printers. A 0.2mm layer sticks *much* better than a 0.3mm for PET and PLA: this is just my observation, but I am not sure why.

DSCN6083.thumb.JPG.6fa2f0776aca10a340718c2065decdbf.JPG

Thanks for all the feedback!  I like the suggestions of starting with a lower nozzle height and will give that a try.  My main issue is with petg.  Jcd, your idea may have been incorporated in the small feature experimental setting.  Not sure if you have checked it out yet!  I think I may need to combine the layer height with the small feature setting. 

I would still be interested in a solid first layer feature even is the changes work, as it is a fast way of getting the first layer with a very high success rate.  With that method I can just hit print and walk away.... Plus it looks nice and uniform!

Posted (edited) · New Build Plate Adhesion Method(?): Solid first layer

@ TriggerMeister,

Thank you for making me discover this new feature available in the latest versions, I'll check it out quickly !

Edited by JCD