No material coming out of ultimaker 2+

ubtje

Posted · No material coming out of ultimaker 2+

Hello Ultimaker Forum,

I hope you can help me, I have an Ultimaker 2+ with 2300 print hours. Recently i replaced a fan and when i tried to do a print there is no material coming out of the nozzle. The feeder in the back grinds in the material pushing no material forward.

But was i found is strange, I load the PLA material in the ultimaker, no problem. At the end of loading the PLA there is also a stream of PLA coming out of the nozzle and you see the feeder pushing the material trough the bowden tube so that seems to be working fine.

But when i try to test print something there is no material coming out of the nozzle. You also do not see the PLA moving through the bowden tube, when i look at the feeder i see the feeder turning but the material not moving, so it grinds in the material leaving a mark like this.

413457310_Schermafbeelding2020-01-07om14_41_34.png.b6d086a580c88a4d9a54bb7b023d81cd.png

What could i do to fix this, the strange thing is that feeder is turning normally in the material during inserting the material. Feeder is on middle tension and i already tried cleaning the nozzle with the atomic method.

I really hope you can help me, i searched on the internet but the only thing I can find is clean the nozzle and adjust the feeder tension. I also don't think it could be the TFM coupler because there is material coming out.

what do you think could be a solution?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

at first look I would have guessed for a blocked nozzle, but as you say you've cleaned it, this could be sorted out. Feeder tension at middle-position is also optimal.

What about your printing temperature? Could it be to cold for your material?

When filament is loaded via menu (i hope the UM2 works like the UM3 in this point), the temp. is controlled by the firmaware, but when printing, it's controlled by the G-code generated by cura. And as there is a blocked nozzle when printing, what's not the case when loading the filament, to cold print settings could be the culprit.

Regards

Thanks for your answer,

Well the strange thing is that I tried to print a g-code file that worked 1 month ago on the printer, so also couldn't think of any problems about the settings.

With that many hours, be sure to check your coupler in the print head.  

I had some odd back pressure/ grinding of filament on my Ultimaker 2+ and I was advised to check that.  I had the original version which was replaced with a more robust TFM one.  I was amazed how cooked my old one was!  

Part:  https://fbrc8.com/collections/ultimaker-2-spare-parts/products/tfm-isolator-coupler-um2-um2-go-ext-plus

My video on replacing it  🙂

Hello LePaul,

I will check tomorrow the TFM Coupler and keep you up to date.

• Like 1