CURA 4.4 open gl?

Bruce19

Posted · CURA 4.4 open gl?

Hello I installed CURA 4.4 into new build I assembled and when I go to start Cura, it says it cannot start because "missing OPEN GL2 file, check video card settings". GRR  I installed into a 3 year old laptop no problems, Cura runs great abit slow on fully opening.  maybe bad download, Ill see maybe delete program, reboot and re-download to see if resolves issue 

Running Windows 10 PRO 1909

MOBO ex58-ud5

Video Radeon RX570 32gb?

Late last night I updated windows. I had seen a amd update on the list of 4 updates. Of course the amd update was saved for last. And the update failed. I don’t know why. Subsequent Update attempts I couldn’t see that amd update. I’ll get out video card papers today to if sheds any light 

You need to update your graphic driver. The RX 570 supports OpenGL 4.5

Use a direct link from AMD instead of Windows Update. Like this one:

https://www.amd.com/de/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-570

Thank you very much. I will give that a shot

I see the hyperlink took me to German site. Luckily I have a translation app on my phone As far as the drivers concern you think I should pick one that has the newest date?

Switch to the english one: https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-500-series/radeon-rx-500-series/radeon-rx-570

Download the newest one (01-21-2020).

Update:  tried driver from December one newest from this month. No change. Even did the program that examines video card and recommends which driver, same as listed above. I shut OFF. Firewall thinking that’s why 2020 adrenaline (?) can’t see internet grrrr.  NOPE. then I saw someplace on web vid card good for win7. I know I could do updates with the video card driver just prior to doing the windows 1909 update three days ago grrrr. And also when I do DXD IAG and it tells me which version of open GL I have it still says 1.1. Grrr. 

Sounds like you have bigger trouble with your system. What combination of AV/Firewall is installed at your system? Are you sure you have all updates for your Win10 (64bit?) installation too? Take a look at your device manager and check if the driver was updated (my guess is no) and wether you have in addition other device driver problems too.

You can deactivate the firewall for installation. Usually this isn't necessary to do. Maybe disconnect your computer from internet/network before doing this. By the way I did my update two day's ago and don't had any issue. I don't use an external AV/Firewall since years as the build in one is good enough for me.

Good luck

9 hours ago, Bruce19 said:

when I do DXD IAG and it tells me which version of open GL I have it still says 1.1. Grrr. 

"OpenGL 1.1" suggests that even though you may have tried to install a driver for your Radeon card, the one that is used by Windows is the "Microsoft VGA driver". This is the fallback driver that Windows uses if no driver is found to run a video card so it can at least display something. So either the driver you downloaded was not successfully installed, or something is preventing the driver from starting/running. Note that this affects the performance of your system greatly, because that touches the display is now done in software instead of using the hardware of the graphics card you have. Not just Cura, but everything including Explorer windows, your browser, etc.

I had installed a windows update to Windows 10 pro ver1909. Before the update on Windows the updates for video card went smoothly. All these issues with vid card started right after the windows update. I tried Ideamaker slicer AND that program didn’t show the menus that are supposed to be upper left. No version of vid card drivers worked. Weighing my options. Maybe have to resort to using Cura only on laptop. Thats running “old” ver of Windows 10 ( not sure flavor right now). I’ve been thinking on blowing away the desktop and reinstall windows for a while now. This would give me the old ver and maybe then update vid driver and then could use Cura/ideamaker

@Bruce19,

sorry for my late answer, I am busy this weekend. I guess @ahoeben is right. It looks like your PC haven't finish all updates and is blocking you somehow. I had a similar problem last month and needed to help Windows a bit for updating all packages. Try first to check manually if there are Windows update in the queue waiting. If no start the search again and if there are updates let them install. After that shut down your system completely, reboot it and manually start searching for windows updates again (just in case...).

After this procedure try to update your graphic driver from the previous download once more.

Posted (edited) · CURA 4.4 open gl?

I’m sure the problem is with the newest version of Windows 10 Pro v.1909. Before I update win10, I had NO PROBLEMS updating video card drivers. Only after win update. Even with another slice app didn’t work also Ideamaker. I think was the name. Again I have no issues using Cura on original version win10 home version on a laptop

we had a water flood in our finished basement 2 days ago and everything is moved, even my desk where my computers are 😢.   It might be few months before I can do anything 😭

Edited by Bruce19

Here are my 2 cents, after struggle with this problem I found that in the Cura Installation folder is missing some dll. In the case for Windows, It's missing opengl32.dll in the istallation folder (C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.6).  The link to download is below.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/yrf6gtka1t526zk/OpenGL_fix.7z/file

SHOULD I delete current 4.7 , reboot and redownload install/

You could try that, but I doubt it will change anything. You should try to get your GPU driver working. The opengl32.dll file mentioned by @fato above should normally be part of the system and/or gpu driver.

Hi everybody,

I write this post to help with a possible solution.

I inccured in this problem this morning and the cause is my HP docking station. I discovered that when I use it my computer is using the docking station graphic card. It isn't OpenGL compliant so Cure can't start.

Connecting my monitor to the computer, Cura start without problems.

I hope this can help someone.

Cheers!

• Like 2

Hello  I have been able to get Cura up and running on my homebuilt pc.   been running good since updated windows

• Like 1

For those with docking stations and don't want to stop using their docking stations you can turn back on your laptop monitor / open the lid, set it as main display, and then be able to start up Cura.  Once Cura is started you can close/disable your laptop monitor lid again.

In summary, Cura is just being difficult.  There is nothing stopping it from running on monitors attached to a docking station other than a misplaced failure message.

Posted (edited) · CURA 4.4 open gl?
    4 hours ago, couches said:

In summary, Cura is just being difficult. 

Windows is just being difficult.

In order to use OpenGL, an application needs to ask the system if it is possible to do so. If the system says "no, it is not possible", there is nothing the application can do about that.

To put it in another way: if you ask your mother for a piece of pie, and your mother says "no, we don't have pie", you are not going to have pie. Now, if your mother already gave you pie before, and you did not yet eat the pie, you can still have your pie, even if your mother thinks there is no pie in the house.

Edited by ahoeben