Material Station Disassembly

uncle_bob

Posted (edited) · Material Station Disassembly

Hi

I have an S5 Material Station that behaves like there is something caught in the filament feed sensor at slot A / extruder 1. That seems like a pretty common sort of issue to have. Obviously I have absolutely no idea if this is the case or not. It's just a guess at this point.  It *is* a feeder and they *do* get junk built up in them. 

To see if my guess is correct or not, I would need to get inside the Material Station to look at the gizmo. Then I could tell if it needs a clean or something more dramatic has happened. So - how do I disassemble that part of the Material Station? 

If I go into the various "error number" diagnostics, I quickly hit a bunch of "our repair partners are qualified to work on this" sort of verbiage. If that's the case, and this an every two weeks sort of cleanup (the device has been here less than 2 weeks), *somebody* will be paying a lot of postage ....... Given that the shipping box arrived with one side caved in, just the cost in replacement shipping boxes will get a bit crazy. 

I realize that there is a desire to keep poking fingers out of here and there on these printers for safety reasons. I also realize that some tasks are more difficult to do correctly than other tasks. I feel pretty confident that after designing and manufacturing electronic gear for the past 50 years that I can stay safe. My ability to follow instructions may be open to debate 🙂 

Also - this is in no way a knock on the support people either at my supplier or at higher levels. I've dealt with a number of them over the years (this is not my first printer ...) and they have been very helpful. My point is that users *do* need to be able to do routine cleanup type work. 

Bob

Edited by uncle_bob

Posted · Material Station Disassembly

I would strongly advise not to open the Material Station yourself at this point. You might be well able to solve the problem yourself and reassemble the device correctly but as it is a new product any issue popping up should be handled by official channels in order to get the feedback to wherever it is needed to improve / optimize things.

Hi

I'm most certainly *not* going to dive into the disassembly without guidance. That indeed *could* raise all sorts of interesting warranty issues. 

I'm not quite sure that "official channels" would be any better at blowing a piece of loose crud out of a sensor than I would. I'm also not sure that my doing it would have any different impact than their doing it. Yes, that *assumes* a specific answer to an as yet un-diagnosed system illness .....

Indeed if the cover (or whatever) comes off and there is a pile of broken bits where the feeder used to be, I haven't done anything of value opening up the device. Part of my guess here is that I have a simple / common / normal issue rather than a full system failure. 

Bob

On 1/26/2020 at 10:14 AM, uncle_bob said:

Hi

I'm most certainly *not* going to dive into the disassembly without guidance. That indeed *could* raise all sorts of interesting warranty issues. 

I'm not quite sure that "official channels" would be any better at blowing a piece of loose crud out of a sensor than I would. I'm also not sure that my doing it would have any different impact than their doing it. Yes, that *assumes* a specific answer to an as yet un-diagnosed system illness .....

Indeed if the cover (or whatever) comes off and there is a pile of broken bits where the feeder used to be, I haven't done anything of value opening up the device. Part of my guess here is that I have a simple / common / normal issue rather than a full system failure. 

Bob

If you email support, they will walk you through how to do maintenance and repairs yourself. That is always faster. We just don't want you to accidently make things worse. Personally, I'd love a way to actually vacuum away debris vs low it everywhere inside. https://ultimakernasupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

• Like 1

Hi

Just to close this out in this thread ( = the info is in another thread as well):

I put in a ticket, support did get back to me. I did pop the Material Station open under their guidance. It's easy to do (if you know what to do ....). The problem took less than 10 minutes to correct. Root cause was a PC board that needed to be re-seated in place. 

So: no need to box things up and send them back. No crazy restriction on doing this or that. 

Bob