Cura adds unwanted geometry to my object

Thorno

Posted · Cura adds unwanted geometry to my object

Hello .

I have a situation in Cura witch i have not be able to solve or found any topic about this.

Here i have just a simple L-shaped piece with some blocks on both sides. Dimensions: 24.4mm x 24.4mm x 6.7mm.

Nothing special. Now, ones it is sliced in Cura, extra geometry is added in the bottom of my piece right between each block from the bottom up.

So far i have rotated the object, changed the infill, toggled support on and off and re-scaled the object both inside as outside of Cura.

None of these changes got rid of the extra geometry.

I think i may have to change some settings in Cura. Any one any suggestions?

Thanks.

Example_01a.JPG

Example_01b.JPG

Example_01c.JPG

20200127_104341.jpg

Strange. Which version of Cura is this happening in?

Could you send a 3mf (go to File > Save... in Cura) and attach it here, I can then try and replicate this.

Just sliced this in 4.4.1 and couldn't replicate the issue. It's possible that whatever has caused this has been fixed between versions, so could you try updating to the latest version to see if you get the right results?

3MF sliced in 4.4.1 attached for reference.

blockus-piece-matt.3mf

1818494115_UMS3_cube50x50x50-MattsMasterVersion2020-01-(2).thumb.jpg.c3cb96700663f0cb65a3c40d984106c2.jpg

Alright i installed 4.4.1 but my problem persist.

I am  pretty sure that my settings in Cura are off but i can't seem to figure out witch setting could have such influence to my object.

I will add the obj file. Perhaps you can see something i have overlooked.

Test_Block.obj

I think i have figured it out. In "Experimental", "make overhang printable" was checked.

After i turned it off, the extra geometry disappeared.

Thanks for the effort anyway.

Posted (edited) · Cura adds unwanted geometry to my object

In two years have they made this option better?

Edited by Davina

I think that option is pretty useless.  I don't think there is any way they could actually make a "make this printable" feature that was even 1/1000 as smart as a human.  At least I can't foresee anyway to do this without human level AI.