Simulation View has stopped workig

StarNamer

Posted (edited) · Simulation View has stopped workig

I'm a novice with using Cura.

A few weeks ago, when I use Preview mode, I got the simulation player and could check exactly how a model would be printed. Recently, it's stopped showing up. I've check the setting of "Force layer view compatibility mode" which was mentioned in this thread. Since it worked a couple of weeks ago, my GPU (NVIDIA GeForce 730M) must support a suitable version of OpenGL. I am on the Windows Insider Preview program, so it's possible that's broken it.

What steps should I take to re-enable it or at least identify why it's not currently working?

Thanks

Edited by StarNamer

Posted · Simulation View has stopped workig

I checked the OpenGL version using the OpenGL Extensions Viewer 6.0.8.1 from here. It reports core features up to and including version 4.6 supported; a few ARB 2015 features are unsupported.

What else could be disabling the simulation player?

On 1/31/2020 at 6:49 PM, tinkergnome said:

Many notebooks are equipped with more than one graphic processor.
    Is it possible that Cura does not use the NVIDIA chip at all?

The notebook does in nfact have 2 graphics processors, an Intel HD Graphics 4000 which seems to actually drive the displays and an NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M which is used for rendering. As setup it also has 2 USB to DVI drivers.

However, my point is that the configuration of the hardware or, as far as I am aware, the software has not changed, except for a Windows Insider Preview update, and this setup was working and displaying the simulation preview a few weeks ago, but now doesn't display it.

Is there some diagnostic information available from the program to indicate why it's stopped working and what I might do to re-enable it?  Alternatively, is there an option to force the mode on the assumption that the software detection of the capabilities is wrong?

---------------------------------------------------------

Update:

I tried disabling the Simulation View plugin and this removed the layer View slider! Re-enabling simulation view brought it back, but I am now suspicious that the installation is corrupted.

I tried a complete uninstall (removing config) and reinstall, but still don't have simulation view working again.

Edited by StarNamer
    update

18 minutes ago, StarNamer said:

Is there some diagnostic information available from the program

The actually used OpenGL driver and version is written to the "cura.log" file (in the Cura configuration folder).

Just search for "OpenGL" or for the "ERROR" keyword- this gives perhaps some hints.

Here is an example of how it looks like:

[...] - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [112]: Initialized OpenGL subsystems.
    [...] - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [113]: OpenGL Version:  4.1.0 NVIDIA 376.54
    [...] - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [114]: OpenGL Vendor:   NVIDIA Corporation
    [...] - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [115]: OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GTX 960M/PCIe/SSE2
    [...] - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [116]: GLSL Version:    4.0.0

...and just to be sure: does it work in compatibility mode or not at all?

Every log entry I could find reports that it's using the Intel HD Graphics 4000

2020-02-02 19:57:05,262 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [111]: Initialized OpenGL subsystems.
    2020-02-02 19:57:05,271 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [112]: OpenGL Version:  4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.5100
    2020-02-02 19:57:05,278 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [113]: OpenGL Vendor:   Intel
    2020-02-02 19:57:05,284 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [114]: OpenGL Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
    2020-02-02 19:57:05,290 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [115]: GLSL Version:    4.0.0

However, if I run the OpenGL Extensions Viewer, it only reports on the NVIDIA GeForce GT 730M

Renderer: GeForce GT 730M/PCIe/SSE2
    Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
    Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 425.31
    Shading language version: 4.60 NVIDIA

Max texture size: 16384 x 16384
    Max vertex texture image units: 32
    Max texture image units: 32
    Max geometry texture units: 32
    Max anisotropic filtering value: 16
    Max viewport size: 16384 x 16384
    Max Clip Distances: 8
    Max samples: 32

GL Extensions: 372

How do I tell Cura to use it?

OK. The NVIDIA Control Pabel has override setting to globally default to using the NVIDIA (instead of automatically selecting) and to set specific applications. After setting Cura to use the NVIDIA GPU, Simulation View works.

2020-02-02 20:17:11,872 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [111]: Initialized OpenGL subsystems.
    2020-02-02 20:17:11,878 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [112]: OpenGL Version:  4.1.0 NVIDIA 425.31
    2020-02-02 20:17:11,884 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [113]: OpenGL Vendor:   NVIDIA Corporation
    2020-02-02 20:17:11,890 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [114]: OpenGL Renderer: GeForce GT 730M/PCIe/SSE2
    2020-02-02 20:17:11,896 - DEBUG - [MainThread] UM.View.GL.OpenGL.__init__ [115]: GLSL Version:    4.0.0

Thanks for the guidance where to look for what Cura was actually using.

My conclusion is that I actually disabled it when I downloaded and installed the latest compatible NVIDIA driver.

Edited by StarNamer
    Spelling error
    • Thanks 1