NMe

Strange purging behavior with a prime tower

Posted · Strange purging behavior with a prime tower

I've got a dual extruder/single nozzle printer (a CR-X Pro, if that makes a difference) and today I tried printing my first dual color test print, the usual traffic cone. I picked the two STLs that would require the fewest tool changes, which would be the ones that only need one color per layer.

I started printing and kept an eye on it because I wanted to make sure the tool change went well and then I noticed some weird behavior. Up to the first tool change the prime tower was just being made with extruder 1 only. Then after the first tool switch I would have expected it to do the same with extruder 2, but instead what it did was it printed what it needed to print with extruder 2, parked the print head near the edge of the bed, did a tool change to reselect the other color, do a layer of the prime tower, park the print head again, do a tool change, print some more on the prime tower and finally go back to the model to print the same color that it had used there exclusively on the previous layer. And it did that for every single layer until it got back to the first layer that needed the color from extruder 1 again.

Now obviously this isn't costing me more filament overall, but it is wasting a lot of time and it also means that there is more risk of colors bleeding into each other. Am I missing some obvious setting with which I can tell Cura to raise the prime tower with whichever filament is currently loaded if the next layer is going to be using the same filament?

I'm using Cura 4.4.1 and these settings:

• Enable Prime Tower: on

• Prime Tower Size: 20mm

• Prime Tower Minimum Volume: 6mm³ (default setting but seems a bit low as my colors kept bleeding into one another)

• Wipe Inactive Nozzle on Prime Tower: off (didn't seem to make sense for a single-nozzle printer)

• Prime Tower Brim: on

• Enable Ooze Shield: off