Cura fills holes that aren't there

MirkoKay

Posted (edited) · Cura fills holes that aren't there

I googled a lot and I had that problem already some month ago with a different model. I had to do it all over, and then it worked. This time, I couldn't make it work. I have a model that is 100% OK, created by Blender Beta. This is just a part of a model. I printed the whole model and everything worked out fine, but when I print only a part of this model, Cura closes the holes. I checked the "Mesh fixes" section in Cura and deactivated everything. Still the same. I did the model all over again, to make sure there are no bugs, still the same. What can I do to forbid Cura to fill the holes? The STL is attached. 

first.thumb.jpg.cd529f416c4123dc9597468a177d3b1d.jpg

Cura 4.4.1 Prepare view

second.thumb.jpg.e1f66e6bdf8d688db804c5929e5043c5.jpg

Cura 4.4.1 Preview view

AntheiaBoxPlugBottom.stl

Edited by MirkoKay

Posted · Cura fills holes that aren't there

The file looks fine in Blender.

Anyway, how can I forbid Cura to fill holes that shouldn't be filled? Because this is not the first time Cura does that and it won't be the last. So I need to know that.

Cura isn't a person, it can't know what you intended with a broken STL, it just takes its best guess. Sometimes the outcome is "correct", sometimes not. That it looks correct in Blender is irrelevant if the exported STL-file isn't created correctly.

1 hour ago, MirkoKay said:

Anyway, how can I forbid Cura to fill holes that shouldn't be filled? Because this is not the first time Cura does that and it won't be the last. So I need to know that.

@MirkoKay

As others said - it's nothing that the slicing software can solve for you. The model is not manifold and/or not "watertight".

You have to build a manifold object if you want use it for 3D printing.

I assume there are a lot of sources that explain how to use blender for those tasks (if you really have to...), here is an example:

https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/7910/what-is-non-manifold-geometry

There are other free CAD programs that are much more suited for such technical models. I do not say that it will not be possible with blender, but there are choices...

If you import your model in Meshmixer (for example), you can see that it consists of 6 separate shells that are not properly connected to each other, have overlapping areas, wrong normals and all such things.

(or as @eldrick said... it's a mess 😃)

grafik.thumb.png.208a5d0776c624aa7d9828d9fa762758.png

In Cura: you can install the "Mesh Tools" plugin from the Marketplace. This will give you a warning when you load the model.

It's good for a quick check. Don't waste your time with slicing as long as the model has errors. That's the best advice i can give. 🤷‍♂️

grafik.png.0fed19a5e22df7b213c81f069ea2ad8f.png

Wow, so viele Antworten. Ich bedanke mich für eure Hilfe. Ich werde mir eure Tipps zu Herzen nehmen. Bin noch recht neu auf dem Gebiet. Bis jetzt hat eigentlich alles geklappt. Ich habe ein Modell in Blender erstellt und dann mit Cura gesliced. Das Ergebnis war immer perfekt.
    Ich weiß, Blender ist nicht das Tool der 3D Drucker. Ich kenne mich aber recht gut mit der Software aus und bin auch mit dem Ergebnis sehr zufrieden. Es ist eine sehr komplexe Software, ich habe viele Stunden investiert sie zu lernen.