Ultimaker 2 lose belt

cschneer

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 2 lose belt

Good morning!

I am new to this community. My school has just received an Ultimaker 2 by donation. I attempted to do a test print and noticed the front belt is fairly loose and it appears to have been handled improperly. As a result, teeth are slipping and printing is impossible.

Am I able to tension the belt or replace it, and do such instructions exist online?

Thank you,

Corey

Edited by cschneer

Posted · Ultimaker 2 lose belt

Belts are replaceble, and the procedure should be somewhere on the Ultimaker-site. If you are a bit handy, you can do it yourself. Your local dealer should be able to provide the belts. Or you can have him/her do it.

While you are at it, I would take the time to have a look at the feeder too: is that clean and in good condition?

Also clean the metal rods near the belts, and lubricate them with a thin oil that does not dry out.

And also clean the nozzle with cold pulls or "atomic pulls". See the official method on the Ultimaker-site, or use my gentle method here (I am no Ultimaker-staff, just a user):

https://www.uantwerpen.be/nl/personeel/geert-keteleer/manuals/

And check if the white teflon coupler above the nozzle is still okay, not deformed, not burned.

Posted · Ultimaker 2 lose belt

Hi Corey,

if the belt is not worn out to much, it possibly could be tensioned very easily, as described in this video by @fbrc8-erin:

As the sliding blocks (which contain a build in tensioning spring) at the UM2, UM3 and S-Series are the same, this procedure might work for your UM2 as well.

It would be also a good idea to check the play on the axles and -if needed- calibrate the print head as described here:

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/50679-check-for-play-on-axles

Regards

• Like 1