3D Printing gone mainstream

Nicolinux

Posted · 3D Printing gone mainstream

You know when something is going mainstream when those "How I lost my brain in two weeks" style microsites appear.

So here my friends, don't you dare to skip this opportunity - buy now! :grin:

Oh my gosh... 3D Printing for idiots... As if it was that easy... And of course 3D printing is something sooo new... As it hasn´t been there for the last 30 years... Buy that book. Or instead you can also directly burn your money...

Ever seen the commercial spot of Pearl for their mass-market oriented 3D printer? The moderators state seriously that everyone can easily print whatever needed in almost no time. If the handle of a coffee pot falls off while the coffee is already running through the machine or a heel of your pumps got lost – no problem anymore because the replacement part can easily be produced by anyone right away now.

I just try to visualize the face of an average noob trying to operate a CAD program in an attempt to quickly construct such an object :eek:.

Not mainstream yet, but certainly getting there. When you can go out to a bar with 10 friends and bring up 3D Printing and be able to have an intelligent conversation with at least 7 of them about it then it will be mainstream. Give it another 24-36 months in my opinion. It's getting there!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies