Multicolor Label prints?

LePaul

Posted · Multicolor Label prints?

Hi there.

I have an Ultimaker S5 and I was hoping to print some multicolor labels to place on some toolboxes and cabinets.

I have found some nice Customizable labels on Thingiverse but those only generate one file.  I do not see a way to make it into two files, as the Cura documentation explains for multi-color prints.

Is there a way to do this within Cura?  To split up the model?

For reference, I was looking at this... https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2768920

It seems many people pause the print and change the filament [on their single filament printers]

Thank you in advance.

Indeed those are made using the Pause at height post processing script. Before unpausing you can change the material via the menu.

With a dual extruder like the S5 you would want to maybe print the background and text within the same height, so that the text doesn't protrude. However it is not really possible to split up objects like that. To be fair it is possible, but that is such a big detour that it would be easier for you to just generate the label yourself in the first place. I know OpenScad can automate something like this pretty easily.

A quick way to use the models from that thingiverse link on a dual extrusion printer is to use a modifier mesh to change the extruder used to print halfway through the print.

I stand corrected.

The advanced way is to load the model twice, merge them, ctrl click one, mirror it upside down, use the second one (ctrl click) as modifier mesh for the first one and deselect Modify Infill Only. Then pull down the group halfway below the build plate and you got yourself a nice label without the text extending out of the label.

Posted (edited) · Multicolor Label prints?

I'm trying to follow those steps but unable to sort out the "modifier mesh" and where to find the "Modify Infill Only" ?  (I'm also having a hard time going between models once merged)

Edited by LePaul

15 hours ago, ahoeben said:

A quick way to use the models from that thingiverse link on a dual extrusion printer is to use a modifier mesh to change the extruder used to print halfway through the print.

Sounds great but how?

Just google Cura modifier mesh. It's been explained loads of times.

Been Googling with no results thus far.  Thanks?

This might help:

This one uses a more up to date version of Cura, and also a cube, like you could use:

Thanks for those.  My peer and I are still stumped so we may give up on this approach for now

Like this:

UMS5_Files.3mf

image.thumb.png.9067de8362d00cffd67a6b4a5b3815d8.png

image.thumb.png.29d27f1b5d96664564609c5dcea19749.png

Thanks for that.

We're having a terrible time with this.  We make sure two models are laid flat, we hit merge...and Cura throws them apart

image.thumb.png.6d7b21db0fdab6c814ef5cada8960b09.png

Oh dear! Forget about my 'advanced method'.

Just load the model once and then load in a cube to use as the modifier mesh.