fill the hole which i don't want

dzq_stone

Posted · fill the hole which i don't want

motor mount.stl

hi  if could, would pls help me to fixed the printing. 

in the attachment is the .stl document which export from the sketchup pro 2018,  the print part in the sketchup and cura 4.5 have the hole, but after Slice , the hole is automatically filled.

hoping someone can solve this problem , thanks a lot .

image.thumb.png.e79014becc750480fa714bbfd2029594.pngimage.png.6b3d150dbaeb48b28456cc903a093b6c.png 

This is a common problem in sketchup and SO EASY to fix.

So in sketchup the default material is white on the outside and gray on the "inside" - the side facing solid plastic.

You have this backwards on your holes.  So right click on all gray surfaces and choose "reverse faces".  Then re-export to STL and you should be fine.  I suspect the only problem spot is the inside of those vertical holes.

Much more details here:

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

2 hours ago, gr5 said:

This is a common problem in sketchup and SO EASY to fix.

So in sketchup the default material is white on the outside and gray on the "inside" - the side facing solid plastic.

You have this backwards on your holes.  So right click on all gray surfaces and choose "reverse faces".  Then re-export to STL and you should be fine.  I suspect the only problem spot is the inside of those vertical holes.

Much more details here:

https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

yes , it's work , thanks a lot 

SketchUp has a lot more problems for 3D printing, though. It automatically generated faces on the inside of your 3d model, which are invisible to the user, but they confuse the hell out of the slicer. You often need to do a mesh repair of your model before sending it to the slicer.

I heavily recommend against SketchUp.

If you are new to sketchup (less than a few months) then yes it's good to switch now.  If you've been using it every day for a year and your hands move over the keyboard faster than you know what they are doing (in sketchup) then I recommend sticking to it and reading that link above.  It talks about plugins that can check that your models are manifold automatically.  sketchup gets a bad name because we see so many bad models here but once you read that article above it can be just as good as any other cad software.

It took me a year to be as fast with DSM as I was with sketchup but now I'm glad I switched.