Strange artifacts slicing in Cura 4.5.0

red_star_rc

Posted · Strange artifacts slicing in Cura 4.5.0

I would like to cling to this topic. I have similar problems with Cura, whether .5 or .6.
Everything looks very good in the slicer, but as soon as I look at the code, I feel sick. Unfortunately, he also prints like this. It's not about the printer either, there are no problems! It's really about the code that delivers completely meaningless artifacts. I also attached the file. It is a surface print.

19.thumb.jpg.b5fc9e88c73092395f9859d384ca5ddd.jpg

14.thumb.jpg.35435bb03ee61307cc95c9e7a3fd7310.jpg

DGO_hilfe.3mf

Thanks for the file. Firstly, the model is not manifold and so I would not expect it to print correctly.

Screenshot_2020-04-26_15-09-20.thumb.png.4556f8d82d155756bb472d18bb522889.png

Having said that, I sliced it using my Cura and cannot see the artifacts you show above. I loaded the gcode into S3D and it looks pretty good.

Screenshot_2020-04-26_15-19-06.thumb.png.d6e3c39ea7a0efed44c2ce309dd39a82.png

Perhaps you should try my 20200424 release ?

I went the same way. Everything looks good in S3D. But it is not! The printed part shows the artifacts that Cura shows when viewing the gCode. Everything else is printed correctly. Yes, it's an unusual build, but it works. Unfortunately, only Cura has the Surface function. Maybe it's Windows 10 with the latest update and Cura 4.5? No idea...

I looked at the gcode with another viewer and it has fewer artifacts than what you show above so it could be worth printing. Here's the gcode ...

DGO_F5aussen.gcode

I just took a different path. I opened the model in S3D and checked it there. S3D has a cleaning function for stl files. I then exported it again as stl. Now I went the normal way in Cura again and it seems to work. The gCode looks clean.

Posted (edited) · Strange artifacts slicing in Cura 4.5.0

I just sliced the same object, scaled to 75% in both the Official 4.6.0 Cura version and burtoogle's version #20200424 and....

Look at the differences.

The top left/right images compare the slicing of a stupid simple cylinder.

Below that a tube + flange. While slicing the cylinder, it seemed like burtoogle's version was a lot faster.

I thought I was dreaming, or that the simplicity of the tiny object might show a wrong comparison, so I fed it a more complex shape (see 2nd row of images).

I then timed both Cura versions and.... Well.. 

Look at the difference in slicing time???!!! 41sec for the original Cura (left) and 20sec for burtoogle's version! 🤪

How did you do that burtoogle??? This is bizarre?!

Master-vs-Ultim.thumb.jpg.ddcbd57d675eaa021a0e68a0b660a185.jpg

Edited by kayazuki

3 hours ago, kayazuki said:

How did you do that burtoogle??? This is bizarre?!

Must just be a happy side-effect of some change I have made in the last couple of years. I don't think that, in general, my Cura is noticeably faster than UM Cura. If anything, I prefer to get better gcode quality rather than quick slicing.

None of that helps me. If you look at the picture, you can see completely senseless thickening. Where are they come from? The complete model consists only of surfaces. It is a pure surface model. It cannot be that Cura sees something that is not there.

20.thumb.jpg.479b5d8091b7ef5ebd5e7603735a16d1.jpg

8 minutes ago, Torti said:

It cannot be that Cura sees something that is not there.

LOL!

Anyway, did you try the gcode I posted above, it shows fewer artifacts than your images show.

11 minutes ago, Torti said:

None of that helps me.

Sorry, I was sort of continuing my own conversation which I had going on with burtoogle on the first page of the topic. I installed his modified version of Cura and found better results (I also had the weirdest artifacts, more inside the model though).

Have you tried the "Maximum Resolution" feature to see if that changes something?

Try increating that to 1.0 and see what happens?

I tried that one and it improved the situation in the official UM Cura.
    image.thumb.png.c511421ef9bb6686a7175c45ac20322e.png

On the previous page you can find burtoogles version of Cura, which didn't give me those artifacts.

Have you tried that version too?

Yes I have. It will make it worse. I'm slowly getting to the end. I need Cura's Surface function, but it doesn't help if the code isn't clean.21.thumb.jpg.d09d2d47c327d7f737fc43679a2132b2.jpg

On 4/27/2020 at 11:16 AM, Torti said:

Yes I have. It will make it worse. I'm slowly getting to the end. I need Cura's Surface function, but it doesn't help if the code isn't clean.

I once set my STL resolution quite high, thinking I'd need such detail, but recently i realised that just gives enormously large files and maybe such mesh details also upsets a slicer more than needed also..?

Are you saving your STLs with very high detail?