Concurrent install of Cura 4.5 and 3.4.1

JohnInOttawa

Posted · Concurrent install of Cura 4.5 and 3.4.1

Good afternoon everyone.  I have a rather pressing question.

I am printing visor holders - over 3 hours with a 0.4 nozzle, but I have a 0.6 (hardcore) available.  The problem I face is that Cura 3.4.1 cannot recognise the 0.6.  I believe 4.5 does.

I have been following the stability issues with firmware and Cura.  I can't afford to brick my printer at the moment.  I would like to know if there is a way to recognise or otherwise use a 0.6 in Cura 3.4.1 or, alternatively, install 4.5 in a way that does not screw up my 3.4.1 install.  I also don't know what firmware level 4.5 requires.

I have been printing with my 0.6 successfully with other materials, but I am concerned that, as this print has a narrow slot for holding a plastic visor sheet, that the 0.6 nozzle may lay down too wide a line and so make that slot gap too small.

Thanks for your help.

John

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question but in that regard, my releases should be the same as the recent UM releases. So if it is true for them, it will also be true for my releases.

8 hours ago, burtoogle said:

my releases should be the same as the recent UM releases

One major difference is that the Ultimaker releases all use a different configuration folder per version, so you can keep different versions of Cura installed and they do not interfere with eachother. Your builds (as far as I know) all use the "master" folder, so once you used a newer version of your builds chances are older versions of your builds will no longer be able to use the same settings because those have been upgraded for a newer version.

You probably mention that in the readme, but since using different versions next to eachother is the subject of this thread, I thought it would be worth a mention.

That's a good point. I don't think I mention that in my README so I'll add a comment.

Personally, I keep all of my configuration files in a git repo and every now and again I make a snapshot so I can recover if anything gets trashed. I have had to rewind a few times due to upstream changes causing breakage but that's the price to pay for living on the edge....