Octoprint Plugin: How to re-name a printer

Posted · Octoprint Plugin: How to re-name a printer

If this has been addressed elsewhere, just say "RTFF" (forums) and I will.

The Octoprint plugin has been working wonderfully pushing gcode files to my Octopi. Could not be happier.

I added anew printer and Pi with an additional instance of Octoprint to my network and a new printer profile. I connected them and cant print without issues.

One question: The filename that the plugin uploads is now prefixed with "MSMV2E3D_" whereas on the other printer, it is prefixed with "1_".

Is this something I can change? If yes, how? I have looked and not found anything yet.

Thanks from a fellow shelter-in-placer.

--jm

This has nothing to to with the OctoPrint plugin, but with the naming of gcode files (or "job names" in Cura terminology).

Jobnames are prefixed by default by an acronym of sorts derived from the printer model name (eg Ultimaker S5 becomes UMS5, Custom FFF Printer becomes CFFFP). You can turn off this automatic prefix in the General preferences.

Because this is a bit inflexible (either a prefix that cannot be changed, or no prefix at all), I wrote another plugin called "Custom Printjob Prefix", which lets you set a custom prefix. If you have that plugin installed, you can change the prefix for the current printer via Extensions -> Custom Printjob Prefix -> Set prefix. You can set any text you wish there to be used as a prefix (or turn the prefix off if you want). Some special replacement patterns are available to be automatically replaced the current values.

An important thing to realise is that the plugin will set the prefix for the current printer only. So if you have two printers configured in Cura, you would need to set the prefix for each printer individually.

Problem (if you want to call it that) solved.  I could see no reason to have prefixes on the gcode files because I push them straight to the Pi with your wonderful plugin. Thanks!