UM² cracks when clicking the "Print"-Button in Cura

manfred-man

Posted · UM² cracks when clicking the "Print"-Button in Cura

Hey Ultimaker,

everytime i click on the "Print"-Button in Cura my UM² cracks, shut down and restarts. I tried Cura 13.10 and 13.11, all the same.

I took a video, please look at it:

UM2 cracks when Cura connecting

I don't think that this is the normal behavior, maybe some settings are wrong.

I use Win7 64-bit, Cura 13.10, connected over USB.

Regards

Roman

Hi Manfred,

As you can read in the 2nd page of the manual, it says connection: SD Card.

The USB connection is only meant for uploading firmware.

I would suggest to upload the latest firmware via Cura 13.11 and upload your files via the SD Card into your Ultimaker.

Thank you for your reply.

Why is it unpractical for small parts?

The same action is required for every part. Auto-slice - copy to SD - insert SD in Ultimaker 2 - Print.

Looking forward to hear about your findings,

(Unofficially, USB printing might work if you configure Cura for an UM-Original. However, due to the large amount of problems with USB printing we opted not to support this on the UM2)

I find it cumbersome to remove the SD card from the printer to copy the data and reinsert into the printer. I think it's unpractical at the beginning of 3D-Print. I'm a Newbie and i have to change/test so many settings at my first prints. I'm still testing some settings after 2 weeks with my UM².

Later, when you get the experience it's easier because you don't have to change your settings so often. You know what to do and how to print things.

@Daid

USB printing worked all the time, Cura configured for an UM² and set the GCode Flavor to "RepRap" for more control.

Only the "cracks" and restart of the UM² makes me wonder when i was clicking the "print"-button.

@Daid

USB printing worked all the time, Cura configured for an UM² and set the GCode Flavor to "RepRap" for more control.

Only the "cracks" and restart of the UM² makes me wonder when i was clicking the "print"-button.

The connecting of the printer causes a reset, which causes the cracking noise (it's the steppers engaging), nothing to really worry about.

(The USB printing with RepRap flavor GCode works fine, if your USB printing works for you then feel free to keep using it. But as Ultimaker we cannot provide a guarantee that it will work. I do think it's important to leave in this feature for tinkering reasons. So no worries for you there.)

Thanks for your help!

I'll still use the USB Connection for a while until i found my settings for my printing.

Then the UM² hast to leave my desk and comes on his final place behind my desk and ill use the SD-Card.

printing over USB is fine for quick prints but it is unreliable so don't try anything that will take over an hour because the chances that it will fail are much more likely and the amount of time lost is higher.

In other words - expect print jobs over USB to stop part way through once every few hours for no apparent reason. Other than that printing over USB is fine.